Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if getting Smoked tail light covers are illegal? It's for a 2006 stang.... I've been told you can get a ticket if anything is obsuring the light

Keep in mind...
1. I Live in New York
2. I have 8000 hid front lights
3. 20% tints (legal limit is 70 or some crap)

so my car is already police prone...not looking for anymore tickets

Thanks =]

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
in california i know tinted taillights are illegal

·
Registered
377 Posts
I know in Canada anything that restricts the light emitted is illegal. I don't know how it would be in New York. However it is up to the police to pull you over and give you a ticket.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
i don't know about the law in New York, but I do want to say that the smoked taillight covers do not block as much light as most people think they do. I have them on my car and they look great. But, as your car already attracts a lot of police attention with the hids and the 20% tint, you should probably stay away from it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
it is illegal, but at the same time i had tinted taillights for 4 years, and never had a ticket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you see that's what I don't get
the tinted covers don't exactly BLOCK the light ....it just dulls it a bit...I guess I'll call the dmv and ask because i've been researching and in florida it's illegal but not in pennslyvania (WEIRD! flordia doesn't care about emissions but they care about light covers!)

Thanks for the help though but I must admit that my heart is kinda set on a rear black out panel with a mustang decal third brake light, tinted lights for both sides at the bottom and the tinted covers for the tail lights

it'll look awesome against the yellow =\

·
Registered
887 Posts
I think as long as the lights are visible from 500 feet away cops wont bother you.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i was surprised when i went in for inspection and they said i wouldnt pass with the tail light covers on. I've had cars with actual replacement tinted lights on before and never had a problem. So i just took them off and put them back on, just thought it was strange.

Dont believe it is against the law though

·
Registered
105 Posts
you see that's what I don't get
the tinted covers don't exactly BLOCK the light ....it just dulls it a bit...I guess I'll call the dmv and ask because i've been researching and in florida it's illegal but not in pennslyvania (WEIRD! flordia doesn't care about emissions but they care about light covers!)

Thanks for the help though but I must admit that my heart is kinda set on a rear black out panel with a mustang decal third brake light, tinted lights for both sides at the bottom and the tinted covers for the tail lights

it'll look awesome against the yellow =\
It's illegal in Florida? Lol news to me, I haven't gotten pulled over for it... yet... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you've ever driven behind a car with smoked taillights in the daytime you can definitely tell the difference. The brake lights are not as eye-catching, and that half-a-second extra it takes to stop can make a difference in city driving. It really depends on your local law-enforcement and how strict they want to be. Here in WA they are pretty strict, so maybe check with others local to you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ive had mine for a couple years and have had no problems..even with police right behind me..even have my side marker lights blacked out(knock on wood). I also noticed that after about 6 months on my car the tint on the covers lessened..still looks good but much easier to see me braking. Unless the cop's a real douche I would imagine all they would do is make u take them off...I'd do it..really makes the car look amazing!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Heres the thing, The best way to get a good look and not attract attention is to remove the tail assemblies, have them smoked, then reinstall em. nice clean look and can be mistaken for factory equip if asked:bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.