Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this piece replaceable? I was changing my tires and noticed this. Looks really unsafe. Any tips or is this part of the frame? This is front passenger side. Both sides are bad but this side is the worst. Thanks

20210502_180036.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check wheel alignment. If it's out of spec., yes, it's not safe.
It actually goes down the road smooth and straight. Just wondering if that piece of the frame is replaceable or not? I found a k member but doesn't really look like that.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
It's a common rot spot on fox bodies and SN95s. The strut towers rot out and on yours it looks like the subframe is rotted some on the top at least. I don't think it‘s reproduced but I could be wrong. Someone told me that you need a parts car as a donor to fix it (preferably a less than v8 car of similar year).

Strut towers and trunk fillers: when will the aftermarket start making these body parts? This is a VERY commonly needed piece of sheetmetal and it is a crucial area. Whatever company starts making them would have many orders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a common rot spot on fox bodies and SN95s. The strut towers rot out and on yours it looks like the subframe is rotted some on the top at least. I don't think it reproduced but I could be wrong. Someone told me that you need a parts car as a donor to fix it more preferably a less than v8 car of similar year.
Strut towers and trunk fillers: when will the aftermarket start making these body parts? This is a VERY commonly needed piece of sheetmetal and it is a crucial area. Whatever company starts making them would have many orders.
Oh thats a bummer I just bought this last year. Maybe it can be welded somehow? Would it still pass inspection? The motor runs so good too. Gt40 heads. How much you think its worth with this rot?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm sure it could be fixed, but it might be costly because of the area it's in and since some metal fabrication will be needed. For the time being you might want to power wash all that rust and road debris out of there and then spray it with oil or wire brush and prime it. The wire brushing part comes with risk though because you may remove the scaled rust and see a hole afterward. Still it's better than rotted metal.

Inspection will depend on your state. Here in Jersey they used to fail you for rot holes if they could easily see them but luckily they stopped checking anything here other than required emissions for federal compliance many years ago. They don't even look at your tires here when you take it in for inspection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Is this piece replaceable? I was changing my tires and noticed this. Looks really unsafe. Any tips or is this part of the frame? This is front passenger side. Both sides are bad but this side is the worst. Thanks

View attachment 780324
Sorry to see that, here's one out of left field for you. After you follow Cobrajet's advice depending what's solid and what isn't try and picture this. Take a piece of steel shaped along the lines of a credit card (thicker of course) longer one side with a hole that matched the size of the bolt. Would you be able to remove the nut put the piece of steel in with a large washer maybe even see if it can be welded and possibly support that area?? Be nice, it's rare my eagerness to help outweighs my fear of looking of dumb. Good luck man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry to see that, here's one out of left field for you. After you follow Cobrajet's advice depending what's solid and what isn't try and picture this. Take a piece of steel shaped along the lines of a credit card (thicker of course) longer one side with a hole that matched the size of the bolt. Would you be able to remove the nut put the piece of steel in with a large washer maybe even see if it can be welded and possibly support that area?? Be nice, it's rare my eagerness to help outweighs my fear of looking of dumb. Good luck man.
Yeah that sounds like it would work. I appreciate all the replies. I might put her up for sale. How much you think she's worth? Gt40 heads with headers long tube manga flow and tuned with t5 5 speed and new tires plus new clutch last year.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Yeah that sounds like it would work. I appreciate all the replies. I might put her up for sale. How much you think she's worth? Gt40 heads with headers long tube manga flow and tuned with t5 5 speed and new tires plus new clutch last year.
$1k maybe. It’d be like selling one that’s totaled. In decent shape it’d probably bring $3k.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
It might be cheaper to find a new car in better shape. Reinforce and paint those areas on the new car, then drop your powertrain into the new car. If there's THAT much rust/body cancer that you can easily see, imagine what you can't.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There might not be much of any rot anywhere else if the car was taken care of. That rust area is common on most 1979-04. Unless you know about it to spray it out when you wash the car then that will inevitably rot there. The lower backside areas on the quarter panels, the trunk fillers, are also usually rotted unless the car was garage kept and relatively low miles. Not much that you can really do to prevent rot there though.
It's not that far gone on the OP's strut towers. It's technically fixable but it's not an easy area to work on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts