Ford Mustang Forum banner

SN95 vs. S197

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JonR2006 
G
#1 ·
So my first car was an SN95 94 GT and now I'm on an 06 GT... I like S197 but I am in love with the SN95 body... I was thinking about selling my 06 and getting a 00-04 GT... My question is are the parts any cheaper when it comes to adding performance on the SN95 platform? Thanks!

#2 ·
Honestly depends what you want out of the car. Your '06 is a much better starting point in terms of chassis and the 3V engine responds better to basic bolt-ons. With a 2V, you're gonna spend $2-3K on heads/cams etc and end up with 310rwhp, or just slap a blower on it and push right up to the 400rwhp threshold of the stock bottom end. Suspension and chassis improvements are a definite must with these cars as well.

I love my '01 and wouldn't trade it for S197, but at the same time if I already had an S197 it would kinda be trading down to get into an SN95/New Edge car. Again, depends what you want though. These cars are a little more raw and rough around the edges, and as such some people would say they "feel" more like a Mustang than the more refined S197 chassis cars do.

#3 ·
SN95/New Edge bolt-ons/mods are cheaper on average than an S197. The bad part of going from an S197 to an SN95/New Edge is the chassis and suspension is just sub-par...the 4-link sucks. Obviously there is aftermarket support to help alleviate the issue but in the S197, you get it from the factory...The 3V is a good motor and can handle more power in stock form than a 2V.

What is the end goal of the car? Power goal? Etc...personally, I would never get rid of an S197 if I had one. I would, however, get rid of my New Edge if it meant I would be upgrading to the S197.

Interior is much nicer in the S197 as well...this is just my opinion...don't get me wrong, I love my humble little 2V but I know what it is...slow, loud, uncomfortable, on-an-archaic-platform...definitely fun...but...my budget rules all so this is the car I get :)

G
#4 ·
I was thinking of getting it to 300-320 RWHP right away, then getting an engine built... Money isn't an issue at this point... One of the first things I always do is get rid of the stock suspension and replace it all...

#5 ·
If money's not an issue then skip the GT and go straight for a nice, gently used '03 or '04 Cobra. They put down about 380rw stock, and a simple pulley swap and tune will push it over 400. If you want more, put a Whipple or KB blower on top of the engine, the stock internals will hold 600 hp easily.

#8 ·
^^The SVT section is deader than dead...post it here it will get more attention.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.