Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 gt with a p1sc, have a friend selling a brand new stage1 kit for $200 seems like a good deal, and the more I read about it, the more I think its a good Idea. I am still unsure though and need any input I can get. Any info is appreciated! :bigthumbsup

here's a link to the kit:
Snow Performance: Stage 1 Boost Cooler™

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Not worth it to me. If there is any thing wrong with that kit that will cause failure your block is gone

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Nope I was about to but decided to do a race fuel tune instead to much risk involved for a few more HP. 600 on the street is good enough for me

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how difficult or feesable would it be to have my street tune for every day driving, then if I do need it, to put in the tune for the methol......

as I type this I realize it's more humbug than it's worth...lol

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Water/methanol injection has been around for a lot of years. You're not going to blow your engine if the bottle runs dry. It doesn't allow that much advanced timing.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
If i had F/I i would go for it.. My buddy just got his installed on his 2006 Evo IX MR... Its made by the same company and his is good, minus a minor leak but that was the installers fault and which he fixed right away.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I run it on my N/A 400ci pickup. Works great and cured my problems with too much compression. For boost aps you get a pressure switch that turns it on with high boost.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
how difficult or feesable would it be to have my street tune for every day driving, then if I do need it, to put in the tune for the methol......

I would be easier to get a tune with race fuel and you will probably get better numbers.

Water/methanol injection has been around for a lot of years. You're not going to blow your engine if the bottle runs dry. It doesn't allow that much advanced timing.
I have personally seen a motor go because of the lines breaking on a cruise.

After talking with Adam from ST Motorsports, many other multiple tuners, and people who have ran Meth it is a very delicate system. It does pull a good amount of timing that is why people are able to get 50-70hp off of it.

Every one says it is best for centrifugal style superchargers so trust me on this one I have called just about every tuner that specializes with prochargers and talked to them looking for one to tell me there is no reason why I should not do this mod, but all of them tell me the same risk that if the system fails it can be catastrophic and that one negative to me out weights all of the positives.

I can get much more power and be safer with 110.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts

I would be easier to get a tune with race fuel and you will probably get better numbers.

After talking with Adam from ST Motorsports, many other multiple tuners, and people who have ran Meth it is a very delicate system. It does pull a good amount of timing that is why people are able to get 50-70hp off of it.

Every one says it is best for centrifugal style superchargers so trust me on this one I have called just about every tuner that specializes with prochargers and talked to them looking for one to tell me there is no reason why I should not do this mod, but all of them tell me the same risk that if the system fails it can be catastrophic and that one negative to me out weights all of the positives.

If you want to know more about it give Adam from ST Motorsports a call and talk to him he will tell you all of the pro's and cons about it or JPC both places are pretty much the God's of tuning Prochargers.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts

If you want to know more about it give Adam from ST Motorsports a call and talk to him he will tell you all of the pro's and cons about it or JPC both places are pretty much the God's of tuning Prochargers.
Didn't realize FI guys were getting that much power out of it.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Didn't realize FI guys were getting that much power out of it.
Yeah they are making some pretty nice numbers off of it. I think on there site they have a dyno sheet of a car making all most 80 rwhp from it.

Personally I would run nitrous before I run Meth. Its on when you want it and you have your S/C for around town. A race gas tune is all ways the safest to me though.

I know with my system I do not need any more power for the street. 600+ will be enough on street tires. Now for the track thats a different story :) no numbers are enough.

If it was a track only car I would say go for it, but there is way to much to risk if its your driver.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Yeah they are making some pretty nice numbers off of it. I think on there site they have a dyno sheet of a car making all most 80 rwhp from it.

Personally I would run nitrous before I run Meth. Its on when you want it and you have your S/C for around town. A race gas tune is all ways the safest to me though.

I know with my system I do not need any more power for the street. 600+ will be enough on street tires. Now for the track thats a different story :) no numbers are enough.

If it was a track only car I would say go for it, but there is way to much to risk if its your driver.
I think they have some kind of safety device now that will automatically retard timing if the tank runs dry.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
When I called Snow and asked about it they mentioned it throws your car into an automatic safe mode.

Can you imagine going into safe mode on a road 600 mile road trip?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
When I called Snow and asked about it they mentioned it throws your car into an automatic safe mode.

Can you imagine going into safe mode on a road 600 mile road trip?

Depends on which model you get.

I have a custom switch panel with a green LED showing when the pump turns on and an amber LED when the level in the tank goes low.

It only activates when above your choice of preset boost levels.

Meth injection has one of the cheapest bang for buck to HP ratios going!

Failures are usually wiring faults. The components used by Snow are of industrial quality and as 'fail safe' as any other time proved modification.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Yes but the biggest reason to run meth is to pull more timing and add more boost. That is were the numbers come from.

With a turbo it is perfect because if any thing happens you can lower your boost but with an S/C if you are pushing 17psi and is meth supported and some thing does happen and you have timing pulled in your tune you are SOL.

If a line breaks or you run out from lack of attention who knows. You may never have issues and it may run 100% fine for you but there are many others that are not that lucky.

Say for instance you are on it full throttle and your system fails before you can shut it off that might just be enough to cause enough damage to break your wallet. I think nitrous is a safer bet just because it is off and on and you can load your specific tune in your car when you want to use it.

To me the biggest question is why.

JDM proved the stock block can handle 500rwhp. I doubt it can handle much more power on a stock block. So the best bang for your buck with a stock block is a good fuel system and tune.

Now if you have a forged block your best bang for your buck is boost. Another question is how much power do you really need. I should be making over 600 rwhp off of pump gas. Do you really need more then that on the street?

Now for the track I will have a 700+ Race Fuel Tune that I will load up. You can easily make big power with out Meth and not have to worry about system failure. If you want any more power then that get your blower ported or get a bigger S/C. I want 800+ with my car so I am just going to put on a bigger S/C which is going to cost me 1300 to upgrade with Procharger.

Just keep in mind as well its not all ways best to just add more complicated mods that make more power that just adds more things that can fail. It might never fail but complicated is not all ways best.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
All true, but in my setup there is a Zetronix wideband. If the AF ratio goes bonkers my PMS pulls timing.

I believe in redundant backups as you might imagine.:hihi:

I'm starting to get interested in running E85 though will wait until it's availability is much more common.

As you stated the safest way to get the benefits of high octane is to tune and run it all the time.

E85 might be the ticket.:scratchchin

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
i have seen some pretty good numbers about E85 I just wish there were more pumps. I would hate to go on a road trip lol and need some E85 and not be able to fill up.

With all the tree huggers (forgive my terms lol) I would think there would be E85 stations in California.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Yes but the biggest reason to run meth is to pull more timing and add more boost. That is were the numbers come from.
You add more timing.

Methanol/water injection does two things.

The Meth raises the octane. This allows more timing.

The water absorbs heat as it turns to vapor. This keeps combustion chamber below the detonation threshold.

Together they allow more total timing regardless of boost and THAT is where most find the power.

Just more timing can get you 60+ HP

Of course the NEXT step is to up the boost....:gringreen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.