Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i have played with v8's my whole life so i know nothing about the v6... SO, i have heard that a "ticking" sound from the engine is a pretty common thing... im pretty sure the car has a bad wheel hub bearing in the rear cuz it howls like a coyote lookin for a mate :laugh: and also the tranny is a little sluggish but thats ok, i just need to know, how do i find out what tranny i have?? i think its the AOD-E but im not really sure has the O/D button and all and starts with O/D on but not sure if that makes it the same AOD-E that they run in the v8 SN95 cars.... ummm all in all the motor and probably tranny are comin out soon but if i can fix the v6 to stop ticking then when i rip it out to put a v8 in it then i could prolly sell the motor for a few more beans :bigthumbsup SO i ask if anyone knows any common issues about the ticking and is my tranny the same as the one they use in the v8 cars?? lookin to put a 5.4L triton in the car with a T45 standard... just not sure if i should leave the AOD-E or whatever it is; the automatic lol; in it til i get a nice T45 from Tremec built up a little and a clutch pedal etc... any help on identifying anything that i dont know about the v6 cars would be appreciated... oh and um did all of them come with 15" rims as opposed to the GTs with 17"?? thanks

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
all the 94-98 3.8L's had 15's. the earlier new edge 6's came with 15's, and i think in 01 they started using 16's.
the 15's are horrible, they look better suited for a taurus. :headscratch:

as for the ticking, usually the headers (passenger side, usually) will crack at the flange where it bolts to the midpipe. start off by making sure all your header bolts are tight. if the ticking persists, run some seafoam through the engine, that'll let you know if you have an exhaust leak, and where.

your trans is a 4r70w, which is the transmission used in the 4.6L sn95's as well.

good luck with your project :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
The trannies used for the 4.6's were 4R70W's, but they were packaged in a different case, so it will not bolt up to a 4.6. It will bolt up to a 5.0 or a 351 Windsor being that the bellhousing bolts were the same pattern. You just need to be careful with engine balance.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.