Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep sure did... i drained my oil, replced the filter and refilled it. i took my baby out for a dive to get the new blood circulating once i was finished... i could seriously feel the difference... it was subtle, but it was a concrete difference... got to love the feeling of new oil in the engine! lets just say i know the car loves it!:D:D:D

·
Registered
422 Posts
I must admit that I have never myself changed the oil in a car. I had my dad do the previous/first oil change because I had to work. I still have the free one from the dealership, but I had my dad do it because I wanted synthetic and I didn't know if the dealership would do that or not.

Personally, I feel better knowing that it has synthetic in since it isn't (directly, anyways) mined. Conventional oil is black and goopy, so it really gets me worried about what kind of abrasive contaminants are in it when compared to a synthetic.

Next oil change I am going to do myself because it is just something a guy has to learn.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I have my first homemade oil change, sitting in the garage. What's it take? 6 1/2 quarts with the filter? Of Mobil 1 fill synthetic? $6.50 a quart... OW!!! My butt!! But if you use regular syn-mix, it sludges up just like regular oil. Once you get it changed, man, what a difference! Full synthetic will run you a lot longer and with much more consistency. No sludge at all!

Paying a reputable oil change place was expensive. No more of that crap. Lots faster and lots of adoration for the car, which was fun, but it's also good to spend a sunny afternoon, getting oil under the fingernails and grit in the eyes/mouth and nostrils. It's fun every time a kid walks by and says "Nice car!"

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
i would like to change my oil on my own. i just don't know where the oil plug is :headscratch:. i mean, changing oil can't be that complicated can it? pull the plug, drain it, re-oil the plug, put it back in. change the filter, add new oil.

·
Registered
425 Posts
JetBlack...if I recall it's 6 qts (with filter change)...I wouldn't overfill.

M

·
0 Posts
Tutorial

This would have been more helpful with some pics... but it gives you a good idea hotshot... As soon as we are at a steady 50-55 I'll be doing mine too - the garage I use wanted $88 bucks and the dealer - $150 HAHAHAHA - ah, NO. I'm quite capable... :gringreen :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
my dealer was not that expensive for an oil change. last time i checked it was $28 bucks for an oil change. but i want the good stuff so i expect to pay a little more. but i haven't paid for an oil change yet, i got my free one at 800 miles and i am only at 3484 right now so i have a little more to go. maybe mid april i will get it changed.

M

·
0 Posts
we're on synthetic... so i knew it would be higher - not that high tho...

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Hey good for you Judy. I used to do my own oil changes, stopped a few years back. I just had my oil changed at the dealer yesterday. I am using synthetic also. $62.00

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I'll tell you, it's a nice feeling doing your own mechanical work. I have always changed my own oil, but just did my first brake job on my truck. Talk about a sense of accomplishment. Granted, I had my younger brother (a mechanic) standing over me, but I'll be able to do my next brake job on my own. OK, so I may have to make a phone call or two....:gringreen

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
I enjoy changing the oil also. It is like giving my baby a transfusion.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I honestly thought this post was a spoof. :headscratch: I guess I'm old school where "enthusiasts" also meant you were enthusiastic about doing your own wrenching. That would be an interesting poll, who does their own non warranty work. I guess you know where I am on that poll

cheers

·
Registered
191 Posts
I honestly thought this post was a spoof. :headscratch:
Me too! :nogrinner

Hijacking the thread just a bit, but do the folks here that do their own oil changes use crush washers? I guess it's not necessary, especially with a new oil pan, but I have been using them since the beginning. No leakage.

M

·
0 Posts
I honestly don't think it's funny to chastise people who WANT to learn to do their own oil change... How about helping with advice?? You learned with help of someone else, I am sure. :scratchchin

Cheers, :so

Judi

·
Registered
191 Posts
I honestly don't think it's funny to chastise people who WANT to learn to do their own oil change... How about helping with advice?? You learned with help of someone else, I am sure. :scratchchin

Judi
You're absolutely right. That tutorial is decent, but in some spots, it's the writer's opinion.

"For engines over 75,000 miles I recommend switching the oil to 20W50. This is thicker oil and will help protect the engine better. Now would be an optimal time to add your favorite additive. My last change I used a can of Engine Restore and a bottle of Z-max."

NEVER use 20W50 oil in this engine! Your gas mileage would drop to zero with that molasses in there. 20W50 is racing oil, and not for street cars. Products like Engine Restore or Z max should not necessary if the engine has been properly maintained throughout its life. Change the oil every 3K miles, and it wouldn't be surprising to be able to put 200K miles on our engines. NO ADDITIVES in the oil in a new engine!! If you bought an old car with tons of miles, and with suspect maintainence, then some additives can help with smoking and ticking noises, but not a new engine!

The V-8 takes six quarts of oil, and ALWAYS replace the filter. I don't know what the 6 uses, but it's in the owner's manual. Always clean the area around where the filter mounts before installing the new filter, and take a dab of new oil and lubricate the gasket of the new filter before screwing it on. MAKE SURE the old filter still has a gasket, and if it's missing, make sure the old one is not stuck to the engine! You'll have a fun day watching oil spew out from between the two gaskets! (This rarely happens, but always check to be sure)

Oh yeah, and rotate your tires every other oil change! Actually, the Mustang manual suggests rotating them EVERY oil change, but I think that's a bit excessive, but that's my opinion, and what I've been doing for the past thirty years! Thirty years? ACK! :happyhapp

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
MAKE SURE the old filter still has a gasket, and if it's missing, make sure the old one is not stuck to the engine! You'll have a fun day watching oil spew out from between the two gaskets! (This rarely happens, but always check to be sure):happyhapp
Been there, done that, LOL. My 86GT also had two drain plugs, couldn't figure out why not much oil drained until I discovered the other one. :shiny:

·
Registered
184 Posts

Judi

I don't think I saw anyone chastising or making light?????????

2 of us actually thought is was a spoof and said so. I then said I'd like to see a poll as to who does their own non-warranty work; that is for curiosity sake. Boy oh Boy

if you've never worked on cars before, i would not follow the advice of anyone on this forum as my only help the first time I did anything. You need to get a person with experience with you, there on site to show you tricks and tips. then, as you gain experience and can leverage that experience and use tips and suggestions on the forum after that.

Oh and Judi, there is a population out here that actually self taught themselves by ripping apart a $200 car and putting it back together and it ran when they were done. I'm not alone; some folks actually called that fun.:gringreen

M

·
0 Posts
...Oh and Judi, there is a population out here that actually self taught themselves by ripping apart a $200 car and putting it back together and it ran when they were done. I'm not alone; some folks actually called that fun.:gringreen
And then there are those that didn't - so for that population - God made people like Taco Bill and others like him that help us learn how to do things for the very first time. I've trusted quite a bit of info off of this and other forums, and if I am not mistaken - someone just rebuilt their engine from some online help... so the advice can't be all that bad now... :D :gringreen

I was looking for the Taco Bill Oil Change Post with Pics for the 05-08 but couldn't find it.... I'll look harder!

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I wa 10 or so I thought it was great fun to take apart my old mans slant six in his 61 plymouth valient...Of course I only got far enough to take off the valve cover.....When I wasnt strong enough to brake the head bolts I just put the valve cover back on, The gasket leaked like crazy and the old man could not figure out why......I never did tell him, but I think he figured it out......Ive been either tearing them apart or putting them back together ever since......GA

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.