Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so sorry to bother u guys again but i had the weirdest problem. I was driving on the highway and i had cruise control on .. my gas was kind of low and well i was driving i felt a stall and the car started slowing down and the wrench light came up. My first impresion was like oh **** the engine so i checked the temperature and everything was normal.. the car was starting to be slower switching tramsitions and i felt like i was forcing it the whole way home, cruise control didnt work ... so i went to a gas station put gas on it and it worked fine.. even tough it works fine it keeps bothering me in my guts anybody knows what could have happened? maybe one the fuses moved or the computer went crazy?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think there is a recall on the cuise control for alot of stangs not sure the year range call ur local for dealer and ask them about the recall for the cruise control u might be in that...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i did check the car is on recal but for passenger airbag >.> . U guys think i should still call em?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
it really sounds like the throttle position sensor. the wrench light will come on and it will go into limp home mode, and run kinda crappy. when you turn it off and restart it, it will seem ok again( maybe). if it happens again, might want to check into it. its about a 80-90.00 pc of plastic on the side of the throttle body.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i am gonna check into it if it happens again, right now its runing beautifly nothings wrong with it, after i install the cai and the tuner it should be better i even tried drifting it or accelerating it and it hasnt showed the problem anymore o_O

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
yea i am gonna check into it if it happens again, right now its runing beautifly nothings wrong with it, after i install the cai and the tuner it should be better i even tried drifting it or accelerating it and it hasnt showed the problem anymore o_O
most often the wrench light has something to do with the throttle body. we had the tps go bad on the 06 at 35k. it seemed to act up on longer trips just cruising along. same thing, did it once, then ran good for a couple weeks. then did it again and ran good for a week at a time, then did it a couple times in one week and i changed the part. my 05 is still going strong at 75k. ive been waiting for it to go bad :shigrin installing a cai wont have anything to do with it if its going bad. maybe its not your issue, but if it is, its a easy part to change, 5 minutes.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you are right bro! GEEZ ur good, haha went to autozone got it checked and it is the TPS they dont have the part there :( do u care making like a little photo and instructions to show me how to install the new part? i googled like crazy but i cant find it for a mustang i am more of a visual guy thats why. And i am going to go check for places were to buy that part tommorrow to get that problem fixed... i read that it could be it being dirty too so i might just clean it up and put it back in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or should i just take it to the dealer and let them charge me 300 bucks for the change? cus the guys at autozone were like just take it to the dealer ull never find this part

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
So I had this problem

All the posts so far seem to be ignoring the fact that you said YOU WERE LOW ON GAS.

If it were me, and adding more gasoline made the car run just fine, I would not be looking to spend more money for no reason.
Maybe the computer coded because you were running out of gas and it is too stupid to differentiate that from a component failure.

p.s. Suggest that you, in future threads, let people know what year, engine, trans, mileage, and whether or not it is still under factory warranty, of whatever car you are talking about...this helps people help you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, didnt i just said oh look ur right i went to autozone and they hooked it up and told me the error code P2135 TPS throttle position sensor. I am just ignoring the fact of your post because infact this happened to me again the wrench light came up while i was driving and i had a full tank. Thanks for your help but it was not the answer what i was looking for.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
well, didnt i just said oh look ur right i went to autozone and they hooked it up and told me the error code P2135 TPS throttle position sensor. I am just ignoring the fact of your post because infact this happened to me again the wrench light came up while i was driving and i had a full tank. Thanks for your help but it was not the answer what i was looking for.
where i`m at we have a bumper to bumper that carries motorcraft parts.( they actually supply the ford dealers here) it should come with 2 new screws, and they have lock tite on them.

standing in frt of your car, on the right side of your throttle body, there is the plastic tps. slide the red button on the connector and unplug it. remove the 2 screws. the part will just come off. now you can see the butterfly shaft coming through the throttle body. if its dirty, spray it with some tb cleaner.

if you look into the sensor, you`ll notice where the flats on the shaft fit into the plastic, the plastic will look beat up. the new one should have a metal pc inside that the shaft fits into( much better part) just set the new one in place, install the 2 screws, plug in the connector, your done :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
so you are right bro! GEEZ ur good, haha went to autozone got it checked and it is the TPS they dont have the part there :( do u care making like a little photo and instructions to show me how to install the new part? i googled like crazy but i cant find it for a mustang i am more of a visual guy thats why. And i am going to go check for places were to buy that part tommorrow to get that problem fixed... i read that it could be it being dirty too so i might just clean it up and put it back in.
thanks, i know i am :smartass: hehe,,, auto zone does not carry them here either. i would not pay anyone to install it, its too easy to do. get the part from the dealer if you have to. hope that helps :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hahaha thank you man i love you ! i took it out cleaned it and put it back in, i didnt clean it with tb cleaner yet i felt it was loose so i tightened it a little and cleaned just the corners with paper towels because it had some oil on it blew air on it put it back in . Turned the car on and felt a little jitter i turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine. Drove it all day today hasnt showed me the code or gone on limp mode. If it does ima try the tb cleaner so i can clean it throughtly but right now its runing better! Thanks man! The dealer wanted me to do a diagnostic for like 99 bucks and then probably tell me what i already knew was wrong with it !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts