Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided I would try my first brake stand burnout.

There is an unused road behind my house and one thing with the road is there are grooves in the road perpendicular to the direction of the road. It is almost like a giant cheese grater.

Anyways, I take my first attempt, rev it up, drop the clutch it breaks loose and when trying to get on the brake I screwed up and stalled it. So I try again, this time I get on the brake right away and the tach is at about 6k and she is spinning pretty good, BUT the car is sliding forward and I have the brake pushed to the floor. Well I didn't think anything of it and ended up skidding the car along for about 100 feet before it started to head to the ditch and I let up.

No sooner I start to drive away I feel this vibration and thump thump thump in the car.. I am thinking "WTF did I just break".

Well I got home and started thinking about it and went and looked at the front tires, sure enough, nice fresh roughed up flat spot on each one /facepalm!! Luckily I had some other tires I could put on, but between getting the new tires mounted and the cost of the ones that had maybe 2k miles on them that was about a $400 burnout.

One unhappy wife :)

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
That sucks...

·
Registered
242 Posts
Doing a brake stand in a heavy car is quite tricky. You have to catch the brakes at the split second before the car starts moving forward. If it has any chance to pick up momentum there's a good chance the tires will just slide like they did on you.

You almost need to be on the brakes before letting the clutch all the way out.... Just to give you an idea :D

If you want to do really easy break stands, buy a fox body 5.0. My 1991 used to sit and spin very easily... Sometimes a little too easily :gringreen

·
Registered
110 Posts
And you did this why?
What a DORK.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
lol, wow...... this has never happened to me and ive done plenty of power brakes. thats sucks man. i hope the burnout was worth $400.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I've never done a brake stand and now I know not to try. Thanks! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks for posting this, sorry to hear about the front tires.

I earn a good living, but at $160/tire burning rubber just for fun is a bit above my budget. I love to accelerate fast, but NEVER intentionally spin the tires because of this. I keep telling myself that once the tires get nice and worn out I'll give it a try.

Maybe not. :smartass:

·
Registered
532 Posts
A $400 lesson in the school of stupid human tricks... Bet you won't do THAT again...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just imagine how much rubber came off the back tires...... not the best surface for a burnout to begin with.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You know how I know you're not married?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Give the guy a break... God forbid somebody buys a Mustang and actually has some fun in it.......

It may have cost a few pennies but I'm sure he had fun and I'm sure he learned his lesson :gringreen

·
Registered
392 Posts
Decided I would try my first brake stand burnout.

There is an unused road behind my house and one thing with the road is there are grooves in the road perpendicular to the direction of the road. It is almost like a giant cheese grater.

Anyways, I take my first attempt, rev it up, drop the clutch it breaks loose and when trying to get on the brake I screwed up and stalled it. So I try again, this time I get on the brake right away and the tach is at about 6k and she is spinning pretty good, BUT the car is sliding forward and I have the brake pushed to the floor. Well I didn't think anything of it and ended up skidding the car along for about 100 feet before it started to head to the ditch and I let up.

No sooner I start to drive away I feel this vibration and thump thump thump in the car.. I am thinking "WTF did I just break".

Well I got home and started thinking about it and went and looked at the front tires, sure enough, nice fresh roughed up flat spot on each one /facepalm!! Luckily I had some other tires I could put on, but between getting the new tires mounted and the cost of the ones that had maybe 2k miles on them that was about a $400 burnout.

One unhappy wife :)
So do you have a line lock? I am assuming from the results that you do not have one. So, even if the front brakes held and the rear wheels spun as you intended, you would be toasting your rear brakes (pads and rotors). Still causing damage to your car.

Thanks for manning up and sharing this with us. If other people would be more honest on this forum, we would prolly understand why their trans is trashed, front end squeaks, have scratches on their gauges.........etc. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
To quote "Foresr Gump"

Give the guy a break... God forbid somebody buys a Mustang and actually has some fun in it.......

It may have cost a few pennies but I'm sure he had fun and I'm sure he learned his lesson :gringreen

Stupid is as Stupid does.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hey, don't trash on the OP, he was trying to have some fun and was honest about it. Good to hear you're having fun with the car, sorry it's gonna cost you some bones, but hey, we've all done stuff that's cost us plenty, I know I have.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The grooved road probably didn't help with half the contact patch...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Once you learn the propper way to do it, you won't ever have any front tire issures.

Now rear tires, can't help you with that issue. Still trying to figure that one out :grinroll:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts