Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to buy a cold air kit and a chip. but i have been looking and people but on the cold air and say they need a tune.. and that a chip will help you tune it. but i dont know what kinda chip to get. or cold air kit. and i dont think i have a dyno around here. any info?

·
Registered
24 Posts
i am very new to this stuff too but i would get a sct flash tuner from american muscle with the 93 octane racing tune. i have a K&N cold air intake but it did not need a tune so i havent bought a tuner yet

·
Registered
849 Posts
What year stang u got, just so u no, the 99-04's DON'T NEED A TUNE w/ a CAI as they don't do more than 5hp!!! Most ppl with the "edge" stangs only get a CAI for looks... A tuner is always good though, look @ AM's they come w/ a lifetime free custom tunes, so as u add more "stuff" you can get free tunes 4 it......

·
Banned
3,704 Posts
Yeah, don't bother with a chip of any sort. Get the tuner like Roush said. Most people agree that SCT is the brand to go with.

Do a search on this site, or on Google and you can find more info about the tuner.

If you do buy a chip, you'll end up taking it out later and throwing it in the garbage while cursing yourself for buying it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What year stang u got, just so u no, the 99-04's DON'T NEED A TUNE w/ a CAI as they don't do more than 5hp!!! Most ppl with the "edge" stangs only get a CAI for looks... A tuner is always good though, look @ AM's they come w/ a lifetime free custom tunes, so as u add more "stuff" you can get free tunes 4 it......
so is it even worth buyin a CAI? I have a 01 GT

·
Registered
849 Posts
nope just 4 looks and if u want a reusable air filter, just get a k&n replacement one and u'll b good....

·
Banned
335 Posts
A CAI will add alittle power and your engine bay will look alot
better compaired to that big ugly rubber tube in the engine bay.
As for the tuner get a SCT tuner from Don at Lasota Racing.He
has the best mail order tunes out there for you mustang.
www.macperformance.com
www.lasotaracing.com

·
Registered
849 Posts
OKay thanks. So then is the SCT tuner from American MUscle are they good ones?
SCT r one of the better ones, don't do like me n get a superchips!!!! u can't add new tunes............

Blade-check out FF&MM, they showed only a 5hp gain and with a dyno thats + or - 10hp so guess what.. that means nothing... U want to spend $300 for looks thats fine and some like the way they sound but to say they add hp is WRONG.... Of course the makers say 15-25hp but thats on a old dirty stock filter vs. a brand X......

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Just get a AM CAI for $75;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SCT r one of the better ones, don't do like me n get a superchips!!!! u can't add new tunes............

Blade-check out FF&MM, they showed only a 5hp gain and with a dyno thats + or - 10hp so guess what.. that means nothing... U want to spend $300 for looks thats fine and some like the way they sound but to say they add hp is WRONG.... Of course the makers say 15-25hp but thats on a old dirty stock filter vs. a brand X......
But is American Muscle a reliable place to buy the SCT Tuner from? cuz theres is not to much and comes with free tunes for life.

·
Banned
335 Posts
But is American Muscle a reliable place to buy the SCT Tuner from? cuz theres is not to much and comes with free tunes for life.
No,in my experience the customer service with American Muscle
was terrible.You would be better off getting your SCT tuner from
Don at Lasota Racing.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No,in my experience the customer service with American Muscle
was terrible.You would be better off getting your SCT tuner from
Don at Lasota Racing.

Sorry 2 hear that but bamma tunes are REALLY GOOD too, and I've had no problems with AM, as a matter of fact when my Tokico D-specs came in, one was bad (wouldn't adjust) and American Muscle sent me a replacement(4) and when I forgot to send in the old set back in (tons of wrk) they never even billed me. So as far as they knew I might have been using 2 sets for a few months. But when I called in because the return shipping had expired (yep that long) they just e-mailed me a new shipping label. Glad they also didn't revoke my discount code =) which is another bonus. (just e-mail the am-rep) and don't share it or we all lose our codes 2....

·
Banned
335 Posts
Sorry 2 hear that but bamma tunes are REALLY GOOD too, and I've had no problems with AM, as a matter of fact when my Tokico D-specs came in, one was bad (wouldn't adjust) and American Muscle sent me a replacement(4) and when I forgot to send in the old set back in (tons of wrk) they never even billed me. So as far as they knew I might have been using 2 sets for a few months. But when I called in because the return shipping had expired (yep that long) they just e-mailed me a new shipping label. Glad they also didn't revoke my discount code =) which is another bonus. (just e-mail the am-rep) and don't share it or we all lose our codes 2....
Yeah I just found out that Bama chips recently started loading
mail order tunes for American Muscle. The last people that were
doing the mail order tunes for American Muscle sent out some
bad tunes to people from what I have seen.Bama makes some
good mail order tunes and I remember Bama back when it was
Bama chips.My friend Don from Lasota Racing has been tuning
for decades and makes excellent mail order tunes.Don's customer
service is excellent and he works with his customers to make sure
your tune is correct for you car.Don did the tune on my mustang
and I am very happy with it.
I bought chrome 17X9 03/04 Cobra knockoff wheels from American
Muscle.Within about one year the chrome on the wheel was
cracking and pitting. I called American Muscle and asked a sale guy
if I could send my wheels back for new ones and the sale guy got
all defensive and rude and said he** no we will not send you new
wheels and don't send you wheels back either because we will regret it and they will send it back to you.Because of my terrible
experience with American Muscle I will never give them my business
ever again and I purchase my parts from somewhere else now.
From my experience the customer service at American Muscle is
terrible and American Muscle does not stand behind their products.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.