Ford Mustang Forum banner

So is it all worth it? (performance thread)

3K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  msupardonme 
#1 ·
So I've been sitting here, just back from the track, my car slowed down tonight.. :mesad:

I'm sure the difference is it was 91 degrees and humid as crap. however it's never a good track night when you digress. my track was crappy and my 60ft times were worse..

I'm just wondering if all the little stuff is even worth it anymore. All the bolt on mods, or should one just go f/i and be done with it? I know some bolt-ons compliment the f/i.. But in reality, would one be better off skipping all the inbetween stuff and just getting a supercharger.

don't get me wrong, the car is impressive for dang near stock, but I'm looking to leap and get over this barely better than stock..

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Sounds to me like you've already answered your own question, just looking for reinforcement, and you know what we're gonna say :winks

Yes, get FI. But for how long will that satisfy you before you want more again?

Just checking...
lol! you're right.. how long does it keep you satisfied until it feels slow again? Again, you arey right.. I think I'm just looking for maybe a bump of motivation/reinforcement or something to talk myself into such a pricey mod.

On the other side of that coin, I've always prided myself on having decently fast n/a cars. Kind of a hang up I've had, is being able to run n/a against cars that werent. .. However.. that was stroked windsors, a built 390 even at one point, old school hot rod stuff... I think I'm just behind the technology curve, odd considering I am an IT tech. lol

It never ends I started bone stock, now I have 754rwhp + 2-150 shots of NOS, and I'm still looking as to how I can add more and still be streeable???
true so very true, it's never enough. Add a little and want alot. It's like a drug. lol.. thats the other side of it, I like to keep things "streetable" I don't want a full out roll caged race car.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I need to get my 4:10s in, I'm waiting on my mechanic though, I'm pretty much at his mercy because he doesn't charge me, so it's kind of when he wants to do it.. But hey, it saves me a ton of money. So I can't complain..

You're right, I've always wanted f/i but man the price is high.. I think I'm just gonna get my gears done, a few little things, window tint, and a few things like that, sit back and enjoy the ride, perhaps trade up for a used shelby in a few years !

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I just don't want you to look at the car one day many mods from now and come to the realization that the car is so hardcore that its no fun anymore.
It happened to me.

This is good advice and kind of made sense to me. I love driving my car and I'd hate to have it such a beast I didn't wanna drive it no more..

I just wanna run in the 12's and I'll be happy, I think I should be able to do that with some modest mods and some good tires from feedback I recieved in other threads.

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Yeah, I found a good deal on a set nib, for about 60 off list, but I can't pull the trigger till next week, that being said they will probably be gone. =/ I'll find them again though.. The harder part is finding a set of tires/wheels for track use that I can justify buying.. lol

-well justify to my wife anyway.. :laughlitt

Discussion starter · #43 ·
lol , no, the gears are coming next week, I just decided to go ahead and add them while I was doing the sig. I know they're coming very soon so I don't feel like I'm fibbing too much.:yup:
I did the delete plates while I did the udp's. The delete plates are easy to do , alot easier than I had anticipated actually. They pulley's were harder for me than the gears. I had to go rent a puller, which was a pain to use because it was wore out. The delete plates are a good mod, You can tell the car pulls more in mid-upper rpm range, Throttle response is better, feels less restricitive. plus it made my car a little louder, I suppose from getting more air.
Though I did do the plates w/ udp's. So it's the combine of both. I can tell the car has more pep for sure.

I'll be adding longtubes to my list too! I finally scored a set of JBA's. I'm going to drop my car off for about a week and my mechanic is going to do the long tubes an gear, and since I'm scared to pull my plugs, he's going to change my plugs while he has it. lol

Discussion starter · #46 ·
That's good news. :bigthumbsup

Man you went hard over the last few months huh? Your car was stock with a cai and axelback not long ago. Nice! :winks

So how would you rate the combo of the UDPs and DPs together? Just as good as the CAI?

I plan to do the plates I think, but I'm still nervous about the UDPs. I may end up getting those too. They're so cheap they tempt me on a daily basis. lol
Yeah, I been searching pretty feverishly for deals on parts and when I find a deal I been grabbing it up. There's still alot I'd like to do, suspension mods, aftermarket hood, etc, etc. The list never ends. However, I am done for now. I probably won't be buying anything else for the car until next summer. My funds are empty. lol

I don't know if the two combined are as good as a cai and tune combo as far as noticablity. (is that a word? lol) You can tell some differences though.

The Pulleys aren't scary, I was worried it would mess with my a/c, turn signals flashing slow etc.. But it bothered nothing, everything works as before, except better throttle response and a little top end gain. I pulled the trigger because I found a set on ebay for less than half price new, I couldn't resist at that point!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.