Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I am stirring an old hornets nest but here goes. As the signature says I just got a gt (4.6 2v). I'm in an enviable position, plenty of cash and my car is just my toy. More often than not I have heard the 2v 4.6 called anemic and worse. So I am looking for reccomendations from those with experience. I'm based out of Cali and am staying there, being well aware of smog issues in my "great state" I'm going to stay just on the legal side. which basically means any swap I do, the engine has to be newer than the body and the ECM has to be programmed to contain my VIN. I want to build a street drivable car that I can throw some cheater slicks on and hit the track for a 1/4 mile adrenaline fix. I got no problem admitting I like to show little kids in mommy's civic with a coffee can tied to the bumper what real cars are about from a red light.

Getting to the point... there is the 4.6 2,3,4v as well as the 5.4 2,3,4v, In Ca I can legally supercharge any of those. and they will all bolt to my trans and fit in the engine bay. My goal is 5-600 at the tires. Who recommends what? I know there is also a 5.0 and 5.3 stroker option out there. I am only asking for opinions on what engine would be best for my goal. I want Vicious Torque/HP from a motor that is dependable enough to cruise across the US. Once my pony is back on the street I want to be able to drive her regularly and let her loose on occasion without worry. Budget I'm looking at 10-20 k. I'm Leaning toward a KB SC, with an in fender CAI and Headers. On the appearance side of things I will not cut a cowl hood, and a cowl hood is the only indicator I want beyond a thundering exhaust note that this car is ready to eat rice and poop mopar. Pump gas is a must, there are not enough suppliers of anything over 91/93 Oct in Ca.

No matter what I choose the engine is coming out for a refresh or replace. I will be sliding a tube k-member in under the empty bay and possibly air ride or coil overs. all of which changes some space issues and weight issues.

So many choices what would you pick? Why?:?::?:

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
In your position (mine is the dead opposite, poor, and in florida) I would go for a 5.4L 4V with a supercharger. You could even stroke the 5.4, which is what I would think the best option is. Decide what your goals are and then it'll be easier to pick an engine to fit them. Wanna give me a job?

R

·
0 Posts
In your position (mine is the dead opposite, poor, and in florida) I would go for a 5.4L 4V with a supercharger. You could even stroke the 5.4, which is what I would think the best option is. Decide what your goals are and then it'll be easier to pick an engine to fit them. Wanna give me a job?
I believe smog laws state you cannot swap any engine into your car that was not a factory option that year. So for a '99 your options are 3.8L V6, 4.6L 2v or 4.6L 4v. (If your car was a '00 you could use the 5.4L 4v since it was a factory option in the Cobra R.) What you do with those is up to you. A Cobra engine would be a good choice. You may be able to find a 4.6L 4v out of a Lincoln Aviator or Mk. VIII.

S

·
0 Posts
I believe smog laws state you cannot swap any engine into your car that was not a factory option that year. So for a '99 your options are 3.8L V6, 4.6L 2v or 4.6L 4v. (If your car was a '00 you could use the 5.4L 4v since it was a factory option in the Cobra R.) What you do with those is up to you. A Cobra engine would be a good choice. You may be able to find a 4.6L 4v out of a Lincoln Aviator or Mk. VIII.

If that's the case then I would agree... a 4v would be awesome. They like to rev and respond very well to mods. Fitment isn't an issue and with the right computer and supporting parts you wouldn't be out a whole lot of cash (even though money isn't an issue it's still nice to save). The 96-98 4v's had 305 from the factory at the crank so they're a good base.

Keep us posted!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well if money is not an issue... A nice new GT 500 would be nice:D:D.... if ya got enough left over I would like one too:D:D.... but I would go with the 5.4 stroke and supercharge it cams, crank, injectors, tuner, headers, flows, port and polish.... hm there has to be things I am missing. But what I just listed would leave any coffee canned rice burner in ashes at the stop light.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My suggestion would be exactly what I did, Aluminator long block, Kenne Bell blower, upgraded air, fuel, and exhaust systems, built rear end and axles, and in your case, an upgraded tranny.

It will all fit right into your GT chassis, and nobody would have any clue, unless you opened the hood!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eat Rice, supposedly its good for you...

Thanks gent's, Im still not sure which is more reliably likely to put 5-600 RWHP to the pavement. The alluminator being that bit lighter and being an easier swap sounds good. Just FYI, Ca's NAZI (pronounced "smog") laws in simplified version state that for an "engine change" to be legal the engine must be the same year or newer from a similar vehicle and all nazi equipment must be; inplace, durable and operational. I once heard some one say something about knowing the laws you are going to break before you do it. I'm a Cali kid and have been dealing with this junk all my life. So 5.4 engine out of a navigator or expedition or f150 is out but I can have one out of a GT or another mustang as long as I make sure all the ARB sticker parts are there and working.

I think I might go with the stroked 4.6 / aluminator with the kenne belle. Though the GT has its pro's it cost to much if I break it. I can get mustang gt parts dime a dozen and the next day if need be. If you think cops are out to get pony's, imagine what they would be like after a GT, and you cannot out drive a properly used helo and radio. I chose this pony for a dozen reasons. A tiny price tag for the base car was one. In my line of work we look out for each other I got a steal.

The way I see it any chump can buy an overpriced new car to show off his money while the payments keep him from making it all it can be. I have been very financially careful and planned to make my car happen. I will be building my car with the money most guys spend on beer, cigarettes, and the family daily driver. By the way I am married with two kids. When my car is done you won't find a million ABC car shop acknowledgements in the build sheet, hence the questions. I will build my 99 from a base gt to a wicked sleeper. I would rather publicly thank a bunch of random guys i don't know on a forum in my cars portfolio, than list 1 ABC hot rod shop.

With 5-600 Hp at the rear wheels and all the other mod's I plan for this car the total price of the car should come in well under the cost of a new gt500 (stock) and be able to spank it, like a red headed step child. I enjoy the building process and the work. Other than paint I cannot see letting any one else's wrench touch my car.

Hey, I grew up poor. I love it when guys point their nose to the air and flaunt the car the bought then get spanked by a salvaged junker. Having been the one leaving new cars in the dust on more than one occasion. A supercharged 381 in a rescued 73 olds cutlass will do that.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
if money really isn't that big of an option i would pick up ford racing's 4.6L aluminator block (pretty much a cobra engine with an aluminum block), and slap a big ole kenne bell on her. swap some of the accessories over and wallah! done. well i guess you could swap the tranny and rear end at that point too.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
only thing is i dont thing longtubes are legal in CA so for the exhaust you might want to stick with shorties.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.