Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 5.0 as of right now it has Boss manifold, Jlt CAI, O/R X, Roush axleback, 4.10s, custom dyno tune done by previous owner, and I am currently running 315/35/20 nitto NT05s. The car is on SVE springs.

My very first time at the track with the car I was trapping 112-118 spinning in first and second. ( still learning the car haha)

So my question is what rpm would you all recommend launching at? Keep in mind I still have a 2 piece drive shaft. I'm not a novice at a manual and I feel like I can pull off an 11 second pass. Am I crazy?

·
2,801 Posts
I have a 14 5.0 as of right now it has Boss manifold, Jlt CAI, O/R X, Roush axleback, 4.10s, custom dyno tune done by previous owner, and I am currently running 315/35/20 nitto NT05s. The car is on SVE springs.

My very first time at the track with the car I was trapping 112-118 spinning in first and second. ( still learning the car haha)

So my question is what rpm would you all recommend launching at? Keep in mind I still have a 2 piece drive shaft. I'm not a novice at a manual and I feel like I can pull off an 11 second pass. Am I crazy?
It really varies by track surface condition, temp that day, your tires, and many other things. Trial and error is going to be the best way to dial that in and it can change by the or even by the run on a long day. Without being in your car and trying it on that given day, track, and etc I can't say for sure. Start with about 2K-2500 and work your way up. My guess is your sweet spot will be right around 2500-3K. This is based off my experience with my 2011 5.0 GT.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, there are a lot of variables! The first time I went I only got three passes so I'm eager to get back out there!

·
2,801 Posts
Yeah, there are a lot of variables! The first time I went I only got three passes so I'm eager to get back out there!
Where are you located if you don't mind me asking. Just curious about weather, altitude, and etc. That would help out when giving advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
find yourself quite road and see where you can get your highest rpm without spinning, you can use that rpm at launch or even increase 500 or so rpm, anything above 3500 your risking putting the drive shaft in your lap. yes the engine will bog a bit, but better to move than spin. spinning losing.. good luck, I also have a 14 with street tires I could not launch over 2500 w/o spinning. and if your bracket racing its about consistency
:nerd:

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Without a tc, my best times have been off idle. I've tried 1000, 1500 and still, idle was best. But with your 4.10's, you'll def need to pedal it off the go so that you don't spin the tires.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
NT05's or NT05R's? If its the NT05's they are crap for the track. NT05R's are ok. MT's would be the best.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are NT05s! I want MT S/S on a drag set up. Sounds like I just need to get a few more passes in the car to figure out what works best.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Ok! Practice and non street tires. The best the NT05's will net is around a 2.0 60'. Press them any harder and the want to spin.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
My best suggestion would be to learn how to slip the clutch.

Imagine seeing someone coming up behind you about to hit you. It's wet out and you know that if you just dump the clutch, you will spin and go no where.

You have to slip it/ ride the clutch to keep the RPM's up without the tires spinning. Obviously too much is not good on the clutch but it can be learned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Throw some slicks on it and let it eat just to get the time slip that you want. Its very hard to hit the sweet spot on drag radials with a manual transmission

1 - 12 of 12 Posts