Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2002 4.6l 2v SOHC motor and had a mechanic helping me but half way through he bailed and now i have two SOHC torn apart in my garage and don't know how to put the cams back in. The mechanic told me he knew what he was doing but i quickly learned otherwise when i saw he didn't mark the timing chain or use a cam retainer when pulling them apart. Does anyone know how to put the cam back in so i don't mess up the timing? is there a special way in needs to be before i can bolt the heads back on the block? any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
74 Posts
cam timing

They key way on the crank has to be straight up on the block it puts the pistons in a area mode for bolting cms in so you don't bend valves.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
You really need to get yourself a Chilton's manual and a SOHC spring compression tool.

The 4.6 modular timing procedures are CRITICAL. Understanding the "why" of the steps are vital to getting a good result. Otherwise, you will be just another one of "those guys" bending a valve on the 1st startup of their new motors.

The forums can not take the place of a professionally written service manual. The forums are best used to "fill in the gaps". The $$ spent on a service manual will be the best $$ spent on the entire project (IMO).

However, the procedures as outlined in the Ford service manual do not have to be done using the Ford special tools. Knowing the purpose of each step will help you understand which special tools are required and which can be done without.

This is where the SOHC spring compressor comes into play. If the roller followers have been removed, then some of the risks associated with setting up the timing are gone.

So the fact that a cam retainer was not used does not mean your mechanic didn't know what he was doing.

Check out:

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-90518 - Trick Flow® Valve Spring Compressors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.