Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm kinda new to engine specifics so please excuse my dumb question. Why cant you convert a 4.6l V8 SOHC motor to a DOHC?

·
Registered
545 Posts
It's a completely different animal. Assuming it could be done (I don't know), It would probably be very expensive.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
Ok I'm kinda new to engine specifics so please excuse my dumb question. Why cant you convert a 4.6l V8 SOHC motor to a DOHC?
It is a big deal because it is integrated into many things

Practical solution is: trade in the car for a 2011+ with the Coyote engine

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
It can be converted over to the pre-Coyote DOHC setup. The blocks are the same. It isn't nearly worth the money. And the old DOHC motors don't make nearly the power a Coyote does.

Either put a Coyote crate motor in it or a blower on your 3v. The blower will be the least expensive, fastest and best option by far.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
All 4.6 engines essentially use the same size blocks (2v, 3v, and 4v) but that's where the similarity stops. Rotating assemblies are different with different compressions, combustion chambers have different clearances, all kinds of stuff. Your cheapest option for big power and 4v heads would likely be finding a low mileage wrecked GT500 with a 5.4 4v and throwing it in with the blower and TR-6060. I'm going to build a Brenspeed 326 CI stroker using a 5.0 BOSS block (not coyote), 3v heads, stage 2 cams, and either a Roush TVS 2300 or twin turbo setup with a Tremec Magnum XL. It won't be cheap, but it'll be cheaper than a 3v to 4v 4.6 conversion that'd produce half the power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts