Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so the other day I did a thread on my positive wire to the soleniod getting hot and burning out all the relays im buying. i was asked if any other wire is getting hot and yes they are. The black wire to the starter is hot and the neg wire from the battery to the block is hot and the pos wire is hot, so what could this be? I was told it was could be resistance in the starter but could this cause the neg battery wire to get hot? And we can rule out anything like alternator overcharging the system cause the car wasn't starting. Just by having the key in the accessories position was doing it. Thanks in advance brothers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello again,
Are you saying that with the key turned the opposite direction of the "run" position, (acc. position), the large wire from the solenoid to the starter is getting hot? There should be no power there at all with the key in this position OR the run position. The only time you should have power on the starter side of the solenoid is during cranking.
If you mean the positive and/or negative battery wires are getting hot with just having the key in the acc. or run position, you have a short in the wiring or in the battery itself.
If you break it down, there's only a few components used to make the engine turn over- battery, solenoid, starter, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, and related wiring.
The only other thing I can think of is if the INITIAL ignition timing is too far advanced, it will make the starter work harder to turn the engine over thus creating the hot to touch wires.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So now the car just makes a single click sound when I turn the key. I replaced bothered positive wire and relay today and made sure all grounds were tight so I don't know :/ I think my starter is toast.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well you have to take the steering column cover off and you'll need tamper proof torx bits for your screwdriver, assuming its the same as a 90. It was recalled because it shorted and could cause fires. When mine broke it was obvious as soon as I took it out, there was play were it was supposed to be solid and there were burn marks. Other thing I'd check is when it clicks where the click is coming from. Check that all your grounds are tight and there's no corrosion on the cables. Also check your solenoid is tight against body.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts