Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im doing a motor swap 4cyl to v8.i have an 89' 5.0 motor with harness ect.. i noticed that the 90-93's have 2 wires coming from the starter, does the 89 have 2 wires as well? one fat one and one fairly thin one?..or does the 89 only have one fat one that conects to the right side of the solenoid?..because my 89 motor only has the fat' cable coming from the started..can some one please verify.

thanks to all who respond.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im doing a motor swap 4cyl to v8.i have an 89' 5.0 motor with harness ect.. i noticed that the 90-93's have 2 wires coming from the starter, does the 89 have 2 wires as well? one fat one and one fairly thin one?..or does the 89 only have one fat one that conects to the right side of the solenoid?..because my 89 motor only has the fat' cable coming from the started..can some one please verify.

thanks to all who respond.:bigthumbsup
I have an '88 GT with only one cable going to the starter. My solenoid is positioned under the hood near the drivers strut tower.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It sounds like our starters are a bit different. I checked my Chilton 87-93 Repair manual. It show's two different types of starters.

The first is a coil type starter. The picture looks much like mine. It only uses self threading screw to connect the cable to the starter.

The second starter listed shows it as a Permanent magnet type starter. It shows a terminal nut to connect the cable. The picture shows the terminal nut connect to the lower terminal, closest to the center. There is one above this as well. It doesn't show what would connect to it. It appears that the starter solenoid is inclusive in this type of starter. This may be an issue for you if you also have a solenoid on the inner fender.

My suggestion would be to go to your local parts store. Have them pull a starter for both years and compare.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.