Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a solid lifter have more power overall than a hydraulic? I'm trying to choose a new valve train for a 289.

I want it to be a little more special than just a regular 4bbl. I want to run the nostalgia (271S or 271H) cam but I'm open for suggestions.

My next question is do you get any gains for roller rockers vs stock rockers?

·
Registered
75 Posts
solid lifters don't float at high rpms, but usually need adjusted at oil change. i wouldn't do it unless i was building a race motor. as for rockers, rollers have less friction thus freeing up more power and last forever. if i was you, i would go with a complete roller setup. cam/hyd. lifters/ and rockers. not exactly unheard of but not everyone has it done.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Solid lifter cams as a general rule make a little more hp, but require a lot more maintenance, as in adjusting the valves regularly. My suggestion would be to go with a Hydraulic roller cam. The lifters are a little pricey, but in my opinion, a big up grade over the flat tappet cam and lifters. You should gain a little hp with the roller rockers, they don't create as much friction as stock rockers and make a little more hp, and are just a better part.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
both good answers. for the street, the hydraulic is the best of both worlds. aggressive lobe of a solid and the low maintenence of a hydraulic. as stated, a little pricey, but worth it.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Does a solid lifter have more power overall than a hydraulic? I'm trying to choose a new valve train for a 289.

I want it to be a little more special than just a regular 4bbl. I want to run the nostalgia (271S or 271H) cam but I'm open for suggestions.

My next question is do you get any gains for roller rockers vs stock rockers?
Hi,
To answer straight up, your first question, probably "yes".....depending on the rest of the engine's components, (mainly valve train & cam profile) and spinning 7K. Seven 7K, give or take, a few hundred RPM and within the purview of most of wallets, is about the limitation of the hydraulic lifter. Are you going to feel the difference, probably not.
However,......in my opinion, while it's cool to hear the "clickit-ty, click" of a solid lifter engine, you do have the added maintenance of it all, that is, if you have a successful "break-in" of the cam. Roller cams need no "break-in", simply install and go. Still, I do like the solid lifter sound together with the "Avinode" exhaust. It is so nostalgic! As a cruiser and show car, they have a great place in our hobby.

I like, and run roller rockers, for the same reasons I blueprinted and modified my engine. I was seeking the complete package, a reliable low maintenance , and super performer! The roller rockers are one of those components that reduce friction. They roll, not scrub across the tips of the valves. Their use along with the roller lifters seem to rev with less energy. My 2 cents!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
The main benefit of roller rockers comes from the fulcrum rather than the tip. There are roller tipped rockers that roll over the top of the valve, but the gains here are nominal as the majority of friction is coming from the fulcrum. If you go with roller rockers be sure they are 'full roller' as in roller fulcrum and tip, not just 'roller tip.'

I also agree, a full roller system (lifters and rockers) is ideal. Smoother running engine with less friction to move all the parts gives you more power and longer component life.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
It seems like they have explained it already.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
It seems like they have explained it already.
No, they did not explain the general source of friction encountered in the rockers as I did. All too often people conflate roller-tipped rockers with 'roller rockers' and think they're getting the same benefits. For this reason, the term roller rocker is used ambiguously to refer to either type in general discussion. Even the manufacturers refer to their roller-tipped only rockers as 'roller rockers.'

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
And when I said "they" explained it, I meant they and you were included.

Personally I do not think going solid is worth the hassle unless you are looking for every ounce of power and need the stability in the higher rpm's. Other than that hydraulic rollers are more than capable of spinning to 7k with the right valvetrain.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
That's not what I meant :nono:

It's pretty obvious his original comment was directed to me, but in his 'cover' for his comment he makes it sound as though he were just randomly thinking aloud. He would have been better off just admitting 'yes, I didn't realize nobody had explained that yet.'

·
Registered
363 Posts
I kinda just ended up with solid lifters... lol but i do love the way it sounds. Its been a pain you know adjusting the lifters twice in the last 4 years.(sarcasm in my voice). Here is a short vid if anyone is interested. I had to look for it. Been a while. This is right after the motor came together. Amazing how much has changed. Ill include a more recent photo.
65 Mustang solid lifters - YouTube

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great responses thanks to everyone. I see that the roller cams are pricey and I would have to get a retrofit kit (spider probably) not to mention the full roller rockers are pricey too. But I will only be doing this once... hopefully (at least not for a long long time).

Nice video Samuel. Great engine, sounds amazing.

I was looking at the pro magnum hydraulic lifters where comp says they are better at higher rpms. Any experience with these? My engine will be meant to rev. Short stroke, and the new heads already have the guide plates and screw in studs.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
The main benefit of roller rockers comes from the fulcrum rather than the tip. There are roller tipped rockers that roll over the top of the valve, but the gains here are nominal as the majority of friction is coming from the fulcrum. If you go with roller rockers be sure they are 'full roller' as in roller fulcrum and tip, not just 'roller tip.'

I also agree, a full roller system (lifters and rockers) is ideal. Smoother running engine with less friction to move all the parts gives you more power and longer component life.
Hey Lizer,
Good point! That's why I run the CompUltra Gold Rockers. ...and yes, those fulcrums complete the package and thanks for completing the picture.
Happy Motoring

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
If you are intending to rev beyond the 6,000 rpm range for very long, the bottom end needs to either have either full grooved main bearings or a cross-drilled crankshaft, the rod bearings in the sbf (as well as a lot of other engines) are only oiled on a half cycle of the crankshaft, they fixed this on the boss engines with the cross-drilled crankshaft. I spin my 289 to 7500 rpms, 271hp mech cam, isky valve springs, aluminum retainers and titanium keepers, trw forged pistons 9.5:1 comp, high volume oil pump, full grooved main bearings, maximum clearances recommended by Ford Muscle parts, and 20w-50 racing oil, its been that way since the 1973. Since you already have a hydraulic cam, cost wise, I would stick with a hydraulic cam. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
If you are intending to rev beyond the 6,000 rpm range for very long, the bottom end needs to either have either full grooved main bearings or a cross-drilled crankshaft, the rod bearings in the sbf (as well as a lot of other engines) are only oiled on a half cycle of the crankshaft, they fixed this on the boss engines with the cross-drilled crankshaft. I spin my 289 to 7500 rpms, 271hp mech cam, isky valve springs, aluminum retainers and titanium keepers, trw forged pistons 9.5:1 comp, high volume oil pump, full grooved main bearings, maximum clearances recommended by Ford Muscle parts, and 20w-50 racing oil, its been that way since the 1973. Since you already have a hydraulic cam, cost wise, I would stick with a hydraulic cam. Good Luck.

More great points!

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
so many BAD points! i do not know where to start! rex, everytime someone talks about over 6000 rpm you give that same speach! total B/S. sorry....cross drilled crank is a joke and aluminium retainers.....really? i'm sorry i just couldn't listen to it anymore!

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Mark, you're really good at offering up what's wrong or pointing out that a correct answer has not been given to the original question (even in a thread you had posted in), but running into a thread and screaming 'NUH UH' is only 50% helpful. You should be giving us the other half too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts