Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all from UK

Im a coin flip from buying a 30k miles 97 manual cobra coupe that was imported from Japan to UK. Apparently the car went to Japan from new.

some gen Qs

what kind of horse power and torque numbers can the stock motor 'safely' handle if l was to supercharge or turbo, and whats the general opinion for choice of power adder with these motors. I generally want to have the most wooooosh on the roll rather than off the lights drag racing.

i also heard that there were cars made with fuel return systems and without, and that this makes a difference with regards to power adders ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
The 96-98 Cobras have a factory steel crank which is good for at least 650 hp. As is the block. I know that because thats what I have been running through it. I do however have aftermarket forged rods and pistons. Obviously you can run more power through it if you are planning to run from a roll rather than a stop. I am in the same situation. I have no interest in drag racing or racing from a dead stop. If your car hooks well, that is when things break. My signature lists most of my parts. If you have any questions about the parts that aren't listed PM me.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Crank is good, rods and pistons are nothing special. Honestly, so the engine can live longer, i wouldn't go over 350rwhp on that motor. If you forged it, you can def go higher on the rwhp. Could go to 400rwhp but you could be on borrowed time if you get on it all the time.
I would probably go with a centri SC since it's more for the top end. Roots are good for the low end.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Crank is good, rods and pistons are nothing special. Honestly, so the engine can live longer, i wouldn't go over 350rwhp on that motor. If you forged it, you can def go higher on the rwhp. Could go to 400rwhp but you could be on borrowed time if you get on it all the time.
I would probably go with a centri SC since it's more for the top end. Roots are good for the low end.
Are you suggesting he not go over 400 rwhp with the stock steel crank and forged pistons and rods? If so, that is rediculous. There are plenty of us doing it without issues. Also, he wants a car that is fast from a roll. That allows him to go even higher without issues. Heck he can do that with cast internals if he doesn't plan to launch the car. I rip on my car to about 9,000 rpms with no problems. But I never launch it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i agree you would only be pushing 45 more horsepower than the stock motor, you can get that with a cai and a tune. When i was doing research with a Kenne Bell it said that you could run safely 450 on stock motor with 8lbs of boost. There are more than plenty cars running a sc stock 4.6 4v over 450hp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i forgot your other question. They didn't start the returnless fuel system until the 99 model. About the horsepower matter i am not sure. I am going to be running 9 lbs of boost on a novi 2000 and my mechanic said that it should run just fine with 42lb injectors and stock 255lph fuel pump. Its on a 97 cobra also and we are expecting 430hp so if you want around there you should be straight. I would just upgrade your injectors and maf. Always get a professional tune too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.