Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so heres the deal. i currently drive a volvo, and i really want a mustang. im 18, and a senior in high school, so i dont have all that much money to spend. should i save more, therefore waiting longer, to get a 99'+ GT, or should i just get a pre99 for less. i figure that i will be going to college, so having that extra 40 horses wont be all that much of a priority. also, i could just have the pre99 for the 4-5 years that i would be in college, because i will probably be making a good amount of money with my degree once i get it to get a cobra. one more thing; because i drive a volvo, pretty much any car will seem fast for me

cliffs:
99+ later
pre99 now

·
Registered
604 Posts
If you really want a pre 99, you can always do the PI head swap to get you the extra horsepower. I believe that would cost around 1500 dollars. Insurance will also be cheaper that way. But the choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Why not find a nice V6 stick Mustang to drive while in school (cheaper insurance, gas, etc.) while you research & plan for your ultimate Mustang? By the time you graduate, even the new 05/06 Stangs w/their 300HP will be plentiful & affordable, and there will be TONS of parts available to modify.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I agree with meatball. A newer V6 would be een less expensive and just as reliable as a GT and cheaper for gas and insurance. He makes a good point about the '05's being a lot cheaper and more available once you graduate. My first one was a 4 banger, I finally graduated to the 8's with my third one.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
A 99+ V6 is as fast as a pre-99 GT, anyways.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
A 99+ V6 is as fast as a pre-99 GT, anyways.
VERY good point!
:eyepoppin

·
Registered
626 Posts
+1, those new v6s are quick... I kept up with an auto 99-04 with as little as a tune and a CAI.. Paul, when I was 18 (which was all about 3 years ago, haha), I was in the same boat you are, except I had a 88 Grand Prix, haha... I went from a V6, then got my GT, and hopefully a Cobra sooner then later... Take baby steps... not only for the gas and insurance.. you might not want to make that jump so fast. We don't want ya gettin into a fast car and killin yourself or nothin... I would get the v6 and gradually get faster... that was the advice good ol' Dad gave me, and that's the advice im giving you....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
get what you want. if you want the 99+ then get it, i have a 02 and i love it. and i wouldnt trade it for any other pre 05 cars lol =)

·
Registered
701 Posts
99+ V6 is definitely an option to go with. I had one as a rental - you can still do nice burn outs...

For me it was important to have a 99+ because I like the body style way better than the pre 99's.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
engineer76 said:
For me it was important to have a 99+ because I like the body style way better than the pre 99's.
Same here, I personally like the look of the 99+ GT. Keep looking, you may come across the one you want at a great price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hmm... do the 4.6's respond a little better to mods than the 3.8 does? i remember reading that v8's are just good engines to mod, not sure if this is as applicable to the 96-98 4.6's though

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
pauloh22 said:
hmm... do the 4.6's respond a little better to mods than the 3.8 does? i remember reading that v8's are just good engines to mod, not sure if this is as applicable to the 96-98 4.6's though
The 96-98 GT's don't respond well to the cheap bolt-ons because the engine has so many restrictions.

·
Registered
701 Posts
pauloh22 said:
You don't want to mod a 3.8 V6. That would just be a waste of money.
Don't give me wrong, they can be made fast as hell, but they still lack some displacement. In addition, tere's less parts available, and if you sell a modded V6, you won't get any money back for your mods.

To make your decission, you have to find out one thing first:
No matter what car you buy, do you intend to keep it for a while, or is it just goning to be for a year or so?

If it is only a short term idea, don't spend a lot of money, get a V6 and don't mod it.

If you want to keep it for a while, and wait till the 2003 Cobras are cheaper than today, get a V8. You might be driving it for a couple of years. And for the 4.6, there is $hitloads of parts available.
Besides that, a 99+ 4.6 can easily pump out 400+ HP at the wheels. which is a lot faster than a stock 2003+ cobra.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea, i plan on having the car for at least four years, to last me through college..
98' gt it is then. itll be enough for me, i can do a little bit to it, and of course ill jump on any great deals for the pi heads after i get the car
i want to work my way into it. yea, i'll be slower, but i will be paying less for insurance and such

·
Registered
573 Posts
pauloh22 said:
yea, i plan on having the car for at least four years, to last me through college..
98' gt it is then. itll be enough for me, i can do a little bit to it, and of course ill jump on any great deals for the pi heads after i get the car
i want to work my way into it. yea, i'll be slower, but i will be paying less for insurance and such

Good choice.....lol.....I can mod you later when your ready.....

·
Registered
676 Posts
pauloh22 said:
If you want a car to mod .... a 4.6 is definately the way to go.
I always recommend going after what you want, and if a GT is what you want now for you college years either 96-98s or 99-04 .... GO FOR IT!
Shouldn't worry about being as slow as a 3.8, unless you're going in reverse. :winks

G

·
Yeah i had to graduate to a 8 too. My first was an 83 lx 4 banger coupe, then a 95 v6 which was a huge jump for me back then, to the 98 GT i have now. I even considered going backwards sorta and getting an 05 v6 just cuz i like the body style and its as fast as mine was stock, and i could get a 5 speed but i think i am gonna hold off. Its still not a v8:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Id stick with the cheapest option. If you decide to go to college, you will need every cent you can get. A 400/month car payment will hurt relly bad when your in school. And working and school dont go together well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Stick with a V-6 while you're in school, and plan for the V-8.

Either way, you'll still be driving a Mustang. :thumbsup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.