Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda new here and not a car expert, so bear with me. I recently bought a used 1999 35th anniversary Mustang. My first question, is there anyway to start this car with my keyless remote? Tried pressing both unlock and lock buttons at the same time, didn't work. My next question, the lock on my trunk is loose and can be opened with any small tool (like a screwdriver). I'm currently looking in on fixing that but I never got a trunk lock key from the person I bought it from. Is there a specific trunk lock key for this car or can I only open the trunk with my remote? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
721 Posts
the trunk key is the key you start your car with. and if you want a remote start. you have to get the custom done to your car. your keys just lokc and unlock.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
ideally, the trunk opens by remote, a button in the glove box, or by the ignition key. there is no factory remote start unless added by the dealer or an aftermarket source

G

·
Welcome to AFM! The trunk lock is probably an easy fix. Is it worn or just loose from the decklid? It might just be that the collar on the back of the lock (underneath the decklid) needs tightened. If it's worn that's another issue and probably just needs swapped out. Do you have a stick or an auto? You can get remote start installed at any stereo shop but obviously only on an auto. Ford doesn't have that standard.
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looked like the lock was just loose. The car is at an auto body shop for some scuffs and I mention the lock on the trunk. Also, when I bought this car, the previous owner did mention a remote start on the car. I don't remember exactly what he said but I remember he said something about a toggle switch that needs to be switched on in order for the remote start to work. He said that the toggle switch was located underneath the steering wheel. I took a glance but didn't see any toggle switch. The car is automatic, but I'm not sure if the previous installed some aftermarket remote start. If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would like to know more about this. Thanks for all the help so far!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts