Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1983 carburated 302 automatic stang.it has headers flowmasters and straight exhaust,shift kit ,edelbrock intake man.,hurst ratchet shifter,andholley 650 carb.I ran a [email protected] 90.somthin the track temp was 97 and humid everyone says thats not that bad of a time but stock hondas turn that kind of number. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
I ran 15.67 in my vert with a cold air kit as my only HP mod . . . same temp outside and humid . . . yours should be faster with your mods. . . is it tuned correctly?

I'm solving my slow ET problem with a blower . . . :naughty

·
Registered
471 Posts
First, the 650 is too big! You will notice a huge improvement by dropping on a 600 vac. econdary carb. Second, which Edelbrock manifold are you running? Performer 289, Performer 302, RPM, Torker or Vic. Jr? You will get the best all around performance with the 600 carb and either a Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth intake. Definately get a vacuumn Secendary carb to work better with that auto.

Give her a tune up with new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires, set timing at 14 to 16*, recurve the dizzy, (The spring kit is dirt cheap!) and consider some gears, I would reccomend 3.73's. If all of that doesn't net low 14's, or high 13's, you have bigger problems!

·
Registered
38 Posts
What kinda' tune are you running? I may have to agree with truuble take a look at it ,also 83 Mustang GT's came with 175 horsepower from the factory and around 250-275 lb ft of torque... When they were stock those four eyes ran those kinda' numbers at the strip:sadcry: ... Personally I would say work on driving technique (even though it is a automatic there may be something to learn!!!) maybe some gears (pound for pound one of the best Stang bolt ons you can do period!) And as alway in the immortal words of Tim Allen MORE POWER!!!!:thumbsup

Keep the wheels spinnin' and the beavers grinnin' i'm out!

·
Registered
248 Posts
i saw a guy with a fox with a k & N, 3.55s, and a CAI, and he ran a 14.8 on the 1/4.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
repley

it is a performer rpm intake. ihave a edelbrock cam and gears 373 in my closet and a 3200 stall converter to . not installed!!! Im not to good at machanics need help puting them on. you think they will help?will the carb still be to big then? its a 1980 trunk style stang just for you info. i have four front headlights is that a four eyed stang?new to the slang! thanks:eyepoppin

·
Registered
38 Posts
All mustangs from 79-86 are classified as four eyed cars... The gears will help quite a bit ,if you cannot put them in most shops will do 'em for relatively cheap. But before you take it to get gears installed make sure you know what kinda rearend you have a 7.5" or a 8.8" especially since you said you had the gears already it would suck to get to the shop and have them turn you away 'cause you have the wrong size gears for the wrong rear end... Also I threw a Holley 600 and a Edelbrock Performer on my 84 and it worked out rather well ,650 is a tad too big for your car... Also notches are pretty light cars so weight really should't be hurting you that much. Do a good tune get a 600 carb throw some gears in it and motor. :thumbsup

Keep the wheels spinnin' and the beavers grinnin' i'm out :thumbsup

84 GT .030 over 302 ,ported and polished heads ,Edelbrock Performer intake and Performer cam ,Holley 600 ,K&N filter ,custom ram air ,BBK 1 5/8" headers ,BBK 2 1/2" no cat H-Pipe ,2 chamber Flowmaster American Thunder cat back ,Eibach springs ,cross drilled front rotors ,turbo coupe rear disc conversion ,8.8" rearend with 3.73 rear gears ,Hurst shifter ,white face gauges ,4" cowl hood ,16x7 Pony wheels ,225/50/16 Comp T/A's on the front ,245/50/16 Comp T/A's on the rear

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks for all your help. but what about the cam i heard the stock 50 cam is a hot cam already just shoot in for a mid to low 13 street car. will that cam be good edelbrock 490 lift i think.thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your stock cam will be okay for a mid to low 13 second car. I put the Edelbrock cam in my car for a little more umph after 1500 rpm and it works really well with the existing package I have on my car... You could always bottle your car and spray your way to mid to low thirteens! Keep us posted on how the car runs when you get all your parts on and run. Good luck!

Keep the wheels spinnin' and the beavers grinnin' i'm out :thumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks

thanks I sure will keep it posted.Im prolly gonna get some gt 40 heads instead of a bottle to help it breath. I want all motor 13s thanks for the help.
:laughlitt

·
Registered
38 Posts
No prob!

Keep the wheels spinnin' and the beavers grinnin' i'm out. :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the help

i apreciate all your guys help ill keep the hooptie posted i want to post pics but need help there to!!!!!:worship got a camcorder but it takes pics too will try to figure it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.