Driving a Vert with top down and windows up is:

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....I know I asked this question a long time ago but now I am curious as to what others think in a more formal way.

After seeing lots of other Verts on the road, I'm beginning to think the majority of Vert drivers keep the windows up when they have the top dropped. I think this is completely silly....but that's just me.

So I would like to know what you guys think....whether you have a vert, have had a vert or never had a vert.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
I voted who cares?
Because its their mustang and they can drive it however they want!
I had a convertible and drove with the windows up and down so its up to the driver..:happydance:

·
Registered
11 Posts
91% of the time never ok.

Having always driven convertibles. (I cut the roof off my first car so I would have one.) You should almost always have your windows down with the top.

That said, very very very very very few of the women, I dated liked the idea of the top down, after they worked on thier hair getting ready to go out. Compromise is the windows up.

Believe me, the wind tuberlence in the S197 is gentle compared to some convertibles. So the ride at speeds up to 75 mph is great.
Winter is another time, top down, heat up, on the way to Tiger Stadium to watch the Tigers beat up on another SEC team is sublime.:shigrin

M

·
0 Posts
Having the windows up with the top down is like wearing a sweatshirt in the pool....:gringreen I never really got the whole "top down, windows up" thing... and now that we have a vert - the only way to go is top down, all windows down!! :bigthumbsup

I voted "Never, are you kidding me? Only dorks do that!" :D I'll probably resemble that comment by early next year... :laugh:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Having the windows up with the top down is like wearing a sweatshirt in the pool....:gringreen I never really got the whole "top down, windows up" thing... and now that we have a vert - the only way to go is top down, all windows down!! :bigthumbsup

I voted "Never, are you kidding me? Only dorks do that!" :D I'll probably resemble that comment by early next year... :laugh:
If you think you are enjoying the Vert now, wait till the fall, IMO that is when the Verts really shine. Cool, crisp Autumn air, the warm sun beating down on my face, heading over to the Football Field for the big game and the rumble of the Stang, Sounds like Heaven on Earth. The windows make my Stang a 9 month a year Vert. Extended highway driving or talking on the phone are the only reasons I put the windows up in the summer. Windows are not silly, my new haircut on the otherhand, well maybe.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I voted "never". Usually I see BMW and Mercedes with their top down and windows up. Rarely do I see this with Mustangs. Their owners get it.

If it's too cold, I put on the heat, turn on the seat heaters or wear a jacket.

Limited hair has at least one advantage.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL.....great responses so far. Looks like this could be a bit of a polarizing issue.

So far some of the people that have made the case for windows up at times make a pretty good case. But that seems to be temperature related and wanting to be able to use their vert when conditions are not optimal. Makes sense.

But I will use yesterday as an example. Driving home from my sister's in Massachusetts on a day that was pristine vert weather, there is no doubt that the vast majority of verts I passed both on the interstate and back roads had their windows up. And many of them with no passenger. That's what I don't get. One a day like that why would you drop the top and have the windows up ??? I mean what's the point of even having a vert if you are going to do that in gorgeous weather conditions ? It's like turning it from a convertible to having just a really big sunroof....lol.

·
Registered
742 Posts
One cold March day, I sat at the back just to see how it feels. The wind turbulance is like night and day compared to the front with the top and windows down. When I had them put the windows up, it made a big difference in comfort.

Yesterday, my friend and his 6-year-old son went cruising down the interstate. His son was terrified while sitting in the back while covering his ears. He was in tears when we hit 80mph. I guess the turbulance was bad enough to scare him. I forgot about putting up the windows though. My friend was cool about it and keeps on trying to tell his son that it's okay. We slowed down to 65mph to calm him down a bit.

S

·
0 Posts
I have never done it even once in our 96GT droptop. My wife just puts her long hair in a clip and away we go. If you don't want the wind brushing your hair and the noise of the road then why buy one?

S

·
0 Posts
I said "who cares?" with one caveat...

If one of the windows is up, ALL of them should be up. :gringreen

·
Registered
858 Posts
I keep my windows up, especially on the highway or when its a lil chilly but i still want the top down, hell i even run heat with the top down when its 55 degrees. I find that, especially in NYC, thers tons of debris in the air and when your windows a lot of that stuff is blocked, i try and wear glasses at all times because ther has been too many isntances of debris flying into my eye and making me miserable, dont want to lose an eye one day for something that can easily be avoided.

Windows up when on the highway, glasses on at all times :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I voted for 3-may as well leave the top up. If I get cold with the top down I'll blast the heat or raise the top.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If it's too cold to drive with the top and windows down, it's too cold to drive the vert, so leave it in the garage and drive your DD. Long as it's above 40*, top down, windows down (heat on below 55*)

Yes, it is the choice of the owner, and he/she can do what they want, as long as they understand they look like dorks when they do it.

My kids squeal in laughter when I go on the highway with the top down.. they love it.. especially when I hit 100 - er I mean when I hit the 65 speed limit.

(I understand some people have verts for their DD, I guess I can't hack on them too bad, it's the american way to get something impractical that you can't afford)

·
Registered
357 Posts
It can cut the air a lot and when it is cooler out it works ,, The heater wont work at speed by the way :gringreen:gringreen

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I always have the windows down and the top down. But i voted who cares cause as long as i'm not in the car i don't care what anyone else does in their car. Just stay outta my way :run_over:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I always have my windows down when the top is down. To me, it's part of the whole convertible experience.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I drive both ways,windows up some times, windows down sometimes. I like the look of it. nothing to do with the weather

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Top down...windows down. Top up...windows up. :bigthumbsup

I too have seen a lot of verts lately, mostly non-stangs, with top down and windows up....just not my cup of tea.:nono:

But to each his/her own. Whatever floats ur boat, butter's your bread or wets ur whistle.:scratchchin

·
Registered
858 Posts
The heater wont work at speed by the way :gringreen:gringreen

The works very well at speeds, th eonly problem is it only heats the front of you and the seats on heat the bottom of you, so the back of your head tends to get a lil cold, so i keep winter hats in the car.

My car is not a DD but i drive it as often as i can, if its not raining or snowing, im on the road. If its above 50, the top is down.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.