Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well . . tonight was the first night at the track with the blower . . . it was hard gettin used to it and my traction was LOUSY!! Time for suspension mods.

Anyway, best run was as follows:

14.242 @ 99.242 MPH

Reaction .348 (my worst of the night)

60 foot time 2.231 (There's the traction issue I'm talking about)

9.251 @ 77.41 1/8 mile time.

It was about 100 degrees at the track.

I KNOW I can tweak another .243 out of it and get it into the 13s . . . time for some control arms and sub frame connecters . . . . :winks

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will. It's all in the 60 foot times. If I can get traction and get the 60 foot below 2 seconds . . . I'm there. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Almost forgot . . . lol . . . the race results!!

17 cars in the street class . . . I got to the top 4 . . . and red lighted!:weeps

I would have been in the finals except for the foul. Oh well . . . at least I didn;t put it in the wall like one guy did . . .

·
Registered
143 Posts
You must be having really bad traction problems...14's with all that seems really slow...some lower control arms and shocks would really do you some good.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
With those big drag radials you should be able to pull sub 2 second 60'. Maybe you could try a few different launch techniques to see what works best. On a hot day, those drag radials shoyuld only need a small burnout. Also check your air pressure in the rear before you race, DRs like a lot less psi to really hook, try about 20 psi. If all else fails, then you should benefit from some more suspension mods. BTW, have you had your combo dyno tuned?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep . . everything's tuned . . I just can't get em to hook. Suspension mods are on the way. In the mean time, getting a line lock to heat the DRs and a shift light for consistency.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nitto drag radials need a good burnout to get them to hook. Even with them cold, you 60ft. times are way off. Please tell us your dyno numbers at what rpms, what rpm you launch at, if you dump the clutch or ride it a lil' bit, and what you shift at. Maybe we can help you a lil' better.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll let you know some launch particulars after I go back to the track on Friday. I know I was dumping the clutch with the RPMs too high . . .

As far as HP and Torque numbers (on a Mustang Dyno . . so add about 20% for Dynojet comparison numbers) I'm making 240 RWHP at 5700 rpm and 271 RW Torque.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe some other people could pitch in but it seems to me that the horsepower numbers are a bit low for your setup..what psi are you running?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The numbers seem low because they are from a Mustang Dyno. If it were on a Dynojet, it would be 288 RWHP and 325 RW Torque. That translates to 339 hp at the crank and 383 ft. lbs. of torque at the crank.

Given the stock motor puts out 215 hp at the crank, I ended up gaining 124 hp at the crank (dynojet numbers) with the addition of the blower at 7 psi.

To give another comparison, the car was putting down 170 RWHP (on the Mustang Dyno) prior to the blower. Now it puts down 240 RWHP, for a gain of 70 hp or 41%. I am told that, without intercooling . . and with a fairly "safe" tune . . one can expect about 10 HP per pound of boost on a stock motor. My engine is stock and has 103,000 miles on it.

All of that being said . . dyno numbers are BS, whether its a Mustang Dyno or a Dynojet. Dynos can be wildly manipulated. I'm sure I could find a Dyno that says I'm putting down 375 HP at the wheels.

Another little comparison . . if you use a "horsepower calculator" (commonly found on the internet) and you plug in the weight of my car with me in it (3,750 lbs.) and my trap speed (99.24), it says I'm putting out 286 HP at the wheels and 338 HP at the crank.

The fact of the matter is, I'm running 305/45/18 Nitto Drag radials and they spin like the bujesus off the line. The issue is traction, not HP.

However, I just ordered a Snow Performance Methanol Water injection kit to cool my boost. With the cooler air temp, I'll be able to run more boost and more timing . . . so the "HP" will come up.

Bottom line is I don't really care too much about what the Dyno says. I know my car will run mid 13s the way it sits . . if I learn to drive the thing . . lol. I need to work a little more clutch into my launch and try not to bust loose as badly. With the Snow Kit on the car, I MAY be looking at 12s if I can get the car to hook.

Sorry for the long reply

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, with 330-340flyHP, that's enough power to get even your Vert to run mid 12's with all the drag setup together. For street tires and mostly stock suspension, mid 13's would be pretty decent. Traction and the first 60ft is more than half the challenge. I've seen a couple of sn95 Verts with slicks go 12's.

Chris

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well . . . I'm takin it to a different track tomorrow night . . . and we'll see how it runs . . . . Unfortunately, I won't be able to get my line lock, shift light, and alcohol injection installed until next week. Oh well.

I'm pretty sure I can hit the 13s tomorrow just learning how to drive the damned thing. lol:eyebulge:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Remember to play with your launch rpms and tire pressure. Good luck and repost to let us know!!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep . . gonna deflate those NT555s a bit and try to baby it off the line a little more. Hoefully, that will improve the 60 foot times and overall ET. :smoke:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Drop the pressure down to at least 20psi, get the tires a little wet, do a second gear burnout untill you see a decent amount of smoke coming from the tires. Then, while your still on the gas, let off the brake and let it launch forward a second and push in the clutch and pull all the way up to the line. Don't try to practice your launch before you get up to the line. It will ruin the burnout prep on the tires. Try to find the point on your launch to where your tires just barely spin, but you don't bog down. Acceleration should be smooth from the get-go. Take a minute and watch the cars racing. You should be able to tell which lane hooks better. Last but not least, go out there and have some fun, and woop some butt.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm still trying to get the hang of the "heel on the brake" burnout technique. That's why I'm getting line lock. But . . gonna give it another shot tonight.

And . . some fun and some butt wooping is guaranteed!!!:winks

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Heel on the brake? Just drop that baby at 5k then mash the brake, and look in your side mirror for the smoke. Count 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2, 1 thousand 3, after you start to see the smoke. I can't wait to see your results, good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahhhhhh . . . ok . . I'll try that!! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.