Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76mm c&l MAF and was wondering i will feel the difference when i install it?? Seat of the pants dyno ya know??I have a stock engine with just bolt ons

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Not much. The heads are super restrictive.

If you want the butt dyno to feel something for cheap slap in a set of 3.73 or 4.10 gears in the rear end. Or, replace those restrictive heads.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have 4.10's.I cant get heads&intake till next year.I have a 70mm TB&egr(gonna gasket match intake),76 C&LMAF,headers o/r hpipe going on next

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Sorry to say but you can open up the intake as much as you want but unless you get better flowing heads or add boost you're not going to see any large gains.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand about heads and intake.I couldnt afford them this tax season.I got my 4.10's,all my bolt-on's,and my transmission rebuilt,and ran out of money.I was gonna wait to put the bolt ons on,but im getting anxious.Just wondering what to expect from the them..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seat off your pants? Nope, your butt will stay in the same place you were sitting before accelerating. More air with nowhere to go.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok ill just wait for my h/c/i swap then

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
If you have the factory MAF switch you will see a gain you just wont feel it. Have you removed the airbox silencer yet?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah i got rid of it,and got a k&n panel filter.The only things done so far are ;rebuilt rear with 4.10's,flowmaster cat-back,k&n panel filter,SFC's,and my trans was rebuilt 2 weeks ago.Its AOD car and just isnt that quick..yet

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With headers,o/r hipe 76maf ,70mmTb,timing bump,pulleys,will i see much of a change in power??

·
Registered
28 Posts
With headers,o/r hipe 76maf ,70mmTb,timing bump,pulleys,will i see much of a change in power??
If you use a better exhaust (i.e. Headers/H-Pipe) yes, but only if you do all the changes you mention, not only the MAF. The MAF meter itself will render nothing. I have friends who would swear they felt a difference without a H/C/I makeover by just doing the MAF alone and I have read several Mustang magazines in the past who have claimed the same thing about the MAF (backed by big name$ in the industry of course), but unless you have some type of force induction aside your current state, the rest is academic. I didn't feel a thing when I did it and I was bone stock when I did the swap. You see, you're actually not unlocking new power, as your intake plenum would still have the same opening and will be handling the same amount of MAX air induction it is capable of. Then you have the -stock- heads which were placed there because they match more or less THAT same quantity of air in an unported state making the best use of what is flowing in them. When you open up the exhaust side as you may have already done, you are actually eliminating a reasonable amount of flow restriction which would now permit the engine to produce "more" HP which, in reality, was always there, same was done when you eliminated the restrictive air intake silencer in the passenger fender before the filter, same as the KN filter which flows air much better, all contributed to better flow into the STOCK intake and heads. So, based on this you basically unleashed the "free" horsepower you had. You need to step up to the next level on upgrades. Do the H/C/I, then you'll convert all that air with it's new, matching burst of gas into new horsepower courtesy of your EEC. All this and I'm sure you still want to know what difference that MAF will do on it's own....how does 3HP sound (compensating for irregularities in air intake path)?.....Just my opinion.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
The only thing your going to feel in the seat of your pants will be your wallet getting thinner. It will be a combination of parts and like what the boys said above.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have a 76mm c&l MAF and was wondering i will feel the difference when i install it?? Seat of the pants dyno ya know??I have a stock engine with just bolt ons
The 76mm C&L MAF/CAI kit was my first mod and it definitely made the engine more responsive. Not a big HP gain, maybe 5-10rwhp, but a difference that I could feel by the SOTP and a good base for further mods.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was gonna use all my income tax money to do the h/c/i swap.While i was buying parts,my AOD trans bit the dust:(!(not cheap to rebuild),and i also got the rear rebuilt w/4.10's put in.So that zapped most of my money,anyway with what i had left i got some bolt ons.So next tax season im doing the swap.Ive got some good stuff so far.Full length Sfc's,k&n panel,timing bump,76maf&inlet,70mmTB,headers,o/r hpipe,flowmaster-catback,trans just got rebuilt,rear rebuilt w/4.10's.All new tierods,New kyb's all around.i think im off to a good start.No?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts