Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do but they're outsourced (i.e., made by Motive- I asked that question specifically of the guy I talked to and he said yes).

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
I'm confused. Are they OEM or Ford Racing? They can't be both. The non-Motive gear FRPP gears are actually made by US Gear.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the description that is given on the website:

Description
OEM 8.8 4.10 rear end ring and pinion only. Manufactured by the Ford motor company. Fits all 8.8" rear axles, including IRS.

I don't know of any OEM 4.10 gears made by Ford so I assume that these are FRPP. For me, it won't make any difference if they're not FRPP but instead are OEM since I'm having the ring and pinion cryo treated anyway.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Ford does make some 4.10 OEM ring & pinions. They're designed to be quieter and aren't as tough as the Ford Racing gears.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
My Ranger has a factory 4.10 rear. I just got my FRPP 4.10's back today from getting Mikronited. Now I just need to find someone with a lift I can use to install them.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I just spent close to an hour taking pictures/talking on the phone with an FRRP tech. about the 4.10 gears I received from Late Model Restorations (LMR) in Texas. Here's the definitive word from FRRP on their USA-made 4.10 gear and pinion set:

(1) there is only ONE Ford 4.10 ring gear and pinion set made, NOT two (i.e., there is NOT an "OEM" set and a separate "Ford Racing Performance Parts" set with one being "non-forged" and the other "forged") ;

(2) the ONLY 4.10 ring gear and pinion set that Ford has EVER made in the USA (i.e., FRPP # M-4209-G410-A) has ALWAYS been made by Ford at its Sterling Axle Plant in Sterling Heights, MI, NOT by U.S Gear (historical note: Ford originally owned the plant, then Visteon took it over when it was "spun off" from Ford; now Ford has the plant back under its own name again);

(3) ANY and ALL 4.10 ring gear and pinion sets purchased at a Ford dealership and labeled M-4209-G410-A are domestically produced and are available through BOTH FRPP AND the dealerships- i.e., there is NO difference whatsoever between the two;

(4) any genuine USA-made 4.10 ring gear and pinion set made by Ford does NOT have the pinion depth marked on it- if it does, it's NOT made by Ford;

(5) not all genuine Ford ring gear and pinion sets have the Ford logo on them for reasons best known to Ford (probably a money-saver since the raised logo stamping costs money);

(6) ANY 4.10 ring gear and pinion set labeled M-4209-G410M ( not "A") is made for Ford by Motive Gear in Motive's Italian plant.

BTW, the ring gear and pinion set I received from LMR is the GENUINE USA-made FRPP 4.10 set that I ordered (at a GREAT price I might add).

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
OK, I just spent close to an hour taking pictures/talking on the phone with an FRRP tech. about the 4.10 gears I received from Late Model Restorations (LMR) in Texas. Here's the definitive word from FRRP on their USA-made 4.10 gear and pinion set:

(1) there is only ONE Ford 4.10 ring gear and pinion set made, NOT two (i.e., there is NOT an "OEM" set and a separate "Ford Racing Performance Parts" set with one being "non-forged" and the other "forged") ;

(2) the ONLY 4.10 ring gear and pinion set that Ford has EVER made in the USA (i.e., FRPP # M-4209-G410-A) has ALWAYS been made by Ford at its Sterling Axle Plant in Sterling Heights, MI, NOT by U.S Gear (historical note: Ford originally owned the plant, then Visteon took it over when it was "spun off" from Ford; now Ford has the plant back under its own name again);

(3) ANY and ALL 4.10 ring gear and pinion sets purchased at a Ford dealership and labeled M-4209-G410-A are domestically produced and are available through BOTH FRPP AND the dealerships- i.e., there is NO difference whatsoever between the two;

(4) any genuine USA-made 4.10 ring gear and pinion set made by Ford does NOT have the pinion depth marked on it- if it does, it's NOT made by Ford;

(5) not all genuine Ford ring gear and pinion sets have the Ford logo on them for reasons best known to Ford (probably a money-saver since the raised logo stamping costs money);

(6) ANY 4.10 ring gear and pinion set labeled M-4209-G410M ( not "A") is made for Ford by Motive Gear in Motive's Italian plant.

BTW, the ring gear and pinion set I received from LMR is the GENUINE USA-made FRPP 4.10 set that I ordered (at a GREAT price I might add).
Great bit of research there. Good info. :bigthumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.