Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to upgrade my pride & joy to either the Brembo Big Brake Kit or the Ford Racing Brembo 6-Piston Brake Upgrade Kit, as listed here:

1= Brembo GT500 GT Mustang Big Brake Kit - Slotted Rotors 1B5.8001A2K (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

2= Ford Racing Brembo 6-Piston Mustang Brake Upgrade Kit - 15in Rotor M-2300-T (05-14 GT, Bullitt, Boss, GT500) - Free Shipping

Can anyone tell me for certain if these kits will work on my stock 5-spoke 19x8.5's (Part #
[SIZE=-1]AR3Z1007J or AR331007EB) shown here:
http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/mustang_10_19_sil_char_lg.jpg

One person said definitely not since the calipers will not clear the spoke but said you can give a try using 1-inch spacers and then "test fit"... Problem is, I need better then a "test fit" answer if I'm going to make this investment, for who knows what the retail return policy is.. if there is one.

Has anyone tried this??

Please & Thank You for your HELP!
[/SIZE]

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Moving this to the 2005-2010 forum....

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Why do you feel that you need those huge brakes? If it is for road racing . . . I'd suggest you upgrade your wheels and tires first, because you will get more performance from that and then you will have wheels that will clear the big brakes.

I'm not positive about those specific wheels, but 8.5" is fairly narrow and I'm pretty sure you will need the spacers. 1" is a lot of spacer and it throws off the geometry (moves the center line of the wheel outward)

Even for road racing those 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers are over-kill from what I have read; the 14" rotors and 4 piston calipers are adequate and will clear a lot more wheel options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the response. My first line of attack was to start with the brakes since they are light years away from confidence inspiring, and sorta always have been even before the rotors warped. I hear you on the wheels, several have already proposed I start there but it's out of the budget at the moment.

I've leaned toward the 15'' rotor SVT package merely due to value. Front & Rear setups for only $1.7k. If I were to change the rotors, pads & lines all around, I'm already in for $700-900. Might as well get the most bang for the buck with the larger calipers was my train of thought since a supercharger is in my future.

So even with a KB Mammoth under the hood, if those two brake packages are overkill for the road, is there a kit/upgrade you recommend?

Why do you feel that you need those huge brakes? If it is for road racing . . . I'd suggest you upgrade your wheels and tires first, because you will get more performance from that and then you will have wheels that will clear the big brakes.

I'm not positive about those specific wheels, but 8.5" is fairly narrow and I'm pretty sure you will need the spacers. 1" is a lot of spacer and it throws off the geometry (moves the center line of the wheel outward)

Even for road racing those 15" rotors and 6 piston calipers are over-kill from what I have read; the 14" rotors and 4 piston calipers are adequate and will clear a lot more wheel options.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not too long ago I found a thread regarding this topic of spacing for caliper clearance. Might be worth a read.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...wheel-size-fit-gt500-brakes-2.html#post749773

For what it is worth, Ford Racing's website references specific wheels for clearance with the M-2300-T 6 piston caliper brake upgrade. You could use those wheels as a reference:
https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22422

They also list wheels for the M-2300-S 4-piston 14" brakes (they are similar to the Brembo's you linked above):
2005-2014 MUSTANG GT 14" SVT BRAKE UPGRADE KIT | Part Details for M-2300-S* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
looks like SVT Rider covered it ; the 14" SVT kit is the one I was going to suggest

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I appreciate the response. My first line of attack was to start with the brakes since they are light years away from confidence inspiring, and sorta always have been even before the rotors warped. I hear you on the wheels, several have already proposed I start there but it's out of the budget at the moment.

I've leaned toward the 15'' rotor SVT package merely due to value. Front & Rear setups for only $1.7k. If I were to change the rotors, pads & lines all around, I'm already in for $700-900. Might as well get the most bang for the buck with the larger calipers was my train of thought since a supercharger is in my future.

So even with a KB Mammoth under the hood
, if those two brake packages are overkill for the road, is there a kit/upgrade you recommend?
Having forced induction still won't make your road driving as hard on your car's brakes as track driving is without it. If you foresee tracking this car in the future, that's a separate question

Ford Racing Mustang SVT Front Brake Upgrade Kit M-2300-S (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping.

Using thick spacers as a band-aid "fix" so you can continue to use wheels with the wrong spoke backside contour is just . . . wrong. It would be a lot better to use the time on just better pads and stock-size rotors to research the wheels vs big brakes situation more thoroughly. That guy with the review over on AM who talks about his "25 mm spacers" is doing everybody who does not read his entire review of the above kit ↑↑↑ a big dis-service (he later talks about getting Track Pack wheels that fit properly).

Norm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts