Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
calling all mod motor guys, in my signature you can see my mods. i need opinions on what everyone is running as far as plugs and oil. the car is going on the dyno for its 1000mile dyno/tune in about a week and its time to switch from the cheap oil to the expensive synthetic and better plugs since the break in period is through. theirs lots of brands out their that i know of, i just want everyones opinions on what they like and what has worked best for them performance wise. thanks alot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone. come on its not a hard question.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Steeda, I'll tell ya' what I use since nobody else will. I've had my car about a year and always had valvoline change my oil(apartment, didn't have a garage). When they did it, I always have used Valvoline Full Synthetic. I bought a house about a 2 months ago, so I can change my own now:clap. I just changed it a couple weeks ago and used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Have always used synthetic because of advice from friends, not really any other reason. I don't drive my car enough to notice much of a difference, sorry not alot of help here!

Oh, and I haven't changed my plugs yet, I would also like to here some opinions on plugs! I have thought about a nitrous setup. I have a buddy with a low 11's Formula that sprays every run, he told me not to use platinum because the spray would take the platinum right off the plug! He says to use copper. Is this true, should I use copper if I do decide to add a nitrous kit? Any info would be great!:D
Sweet

·
Registered
51 Posts
ANY synthetic is good. I personally run Mobil 1. I have always had good luck with it. The key is to stick with one brand as different Company's oils mixed over the years in your engine sometimes cause a sludge buildup. Use 1 brand every time and alot of problems are averted.

As far as plugs, I have always had good luck with NGKs. If you're going to run nitrous or forced induction, ALWAYS go a heat range or 2 cooler. I've been doing a little digging as I'm going with the KB 1.7l soon. Regular copper (Again, I like NGKs) is what I'm going to run. Platinums are crap. Irridium is the way to go but really not necessary unless blowing or going on the bottle. They are PRICEY though and that is why I'm sticking with the V-Power NGKs.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
276 Posts
Castrol Syntec full synthetic. Haven't changed the plugs yet. While we're on the subject can someone address plug wires? 8mm, 9mm, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the opinions guys, appreciate it. heard good things about the irridium plugs but besides the point their $12.00 a head might rethink it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
as far as oil personally i use Red line 10w30, its a synthetic oil and runs about 7 bucks a qt, according to redline the oil is good for like 12k miles personally i change it every 3 months but i only drive it 100 miles a week so im still under my 3k miles, i like k&n oil filters and as far as plugs ive heard alot of good things about ngk's and my buddy has i think its a zex kit and he uses their plugs he loves em. as far as someone askes about plug wires, i run 9 mm wires i look at it as the less resistance the charge has to fight the better, msd makes a good coil pack msd8241 they go for like 75 bucks each,

ive also read about nology hot wires they are supposed to be pretty good but i havent seen them in action yet. hope this helped you out,
also on oil Royal Purple makes a damn good oil too but again your looking at 7 bucks a qti think it was consumer reports that went through oils and they determined that after like 100k miles there was only like one millionth of a differance in wear between regular oils and synthetic, but i know mm&ff did a dyno test and gained 2hp and 6ftlbs of torque changing all the fluids (engine oil tranny and rearend along with a redline fuel injector cleaner) so its worth it to me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.