Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forums, been doing a little reading for the past couple of days.

I went ahead and bought Ngk-Ix-Iridium / Spark Plug for my '02 Mustang V6.

link (part# 7164 @ autozone.com)

My questions are, how hard is it to replace'em ? I got some mechanical skills but definitely not a pro.
and do I need to adjust anything on the new spark plugs ?

I also switched my air filter to the K&N and did the seafoam, so far so good, my car does run smoother and actually gas mileage has improved.

Thanks !
Suma.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The plugs are really easy to change, the only one that is semi-hard is the #3 cylinder (closest to the firewall on the passenger side) because of the strut tower

You want to make sure the gap is correct also. .054 is what they call for from the factory. Also did you get new plug wires? If not, it's best to replace them when everything is off already.

Also, iridium aren't really needed unless you're running F/I

I hope this helps :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
yep just take your time, do one at a time dont mix the wires up.

straight out put anti seize on, then straight in

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's not that difficult. I never did any repair before buying my 2000 V6 a few months ago. Just make sure if you change the wires you make sure they go back in the right order.

·
Registered
89 Posts
and if your not replacing the wires becarful to not rip the boot of the wire when taking it off the spark plug, a few of them were a pain for me to get off when i changed mine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
I'm not going to replace the wires because I know those have been changed like 5 months ago. (prev. owner told me so...)

btw, what tools do I need (if any?) other than a screwdriver and a ratchet ?

Suma.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks guys.
I'm not going to replace the wires because I know those have been changed like 5 months ago. (prev. owner told me so...)

btw, what tools do I need (if any?) other than a screwdriver and a ratchet ?

Suma.
Only really "unique" tool would be a spark plug socket. It has a deeper socket and padding so it doesn't damage your plug. Most tool sets come with one (even my cheap-ass, no-name ratchet set had one! :shigrin)... There are different sizes of spark plug sockets, so I don't know which one will work for you...

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
just a 3/8" ratchet, 3/8" extension, and a 5/8" sparkplug socket or 5/8" deepwell socket in a 3/8" drive.
i always remove my cai when i replace plugs too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
just a 3/8" ratchet, 3/8" extension, and a 5/8" sparkplug socket or 5/8" deepwell socket in a 3/8" drive.
Yeah you're going to have to remove that :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yup, 5/8" socket -- just checked last night (couldn't remember yesterday...) :shigrin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.