Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my engine to start up after replacing the ignition coil and playing with the dist....so that's good! However I ran into a hang up....I bought new plugs and wires only to find the plugs were too small! I pulled the starter an this is the engine cast# D4DE-6015-BA. I deducted it is a 74 V-8 but which one? All the V-8 plugs I've found are AP45's and these are Motocraft ASF42C.....what you guys think?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
You need 18mm plugs with a tapered seal.

autolite 45's are your standard copper electrode plug and they work great.

the motorcraft asf42c plugs are for the newer engines and they are 14mm

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If you have a 351, I can understand the confusion. The 351C uses the smaller 14mm plugs, while the 351W uses 18mm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the 45's don't fit the motorcraft asf42c is what fits. That still means its a 302 though correct? Just one that was stuck in later? six bolts on the valve covers, identical to most 302's I've seen in pics but just wanna make sure I'm buying the correct parts!:worship

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I finally figured it out. The engine cast is d4de which is 1974-76 V-8 5.0L 302....probably out of a Granada or Maverick. Let me know if this sounds right?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Also consider that although the "D4" on the block indicates 1974, the heads may be later, especially if you are unsure of the motor's origin. Pull a valve cover and check the casting on one of the heads if you want to be sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts