Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4th cylinder spark plug stripped because it was put in right. Reason to how I found out was I was driving on the freeway and I heard a pop noise, and a loud clicking occurred after whenever I would accelerate. I looked under the hood and the spark plug shot out completely and broke the spring and everything. I took it to a mechanic and he said since the spark plug stripped the surrounding area, that he would have to take out "Heads" to get to the part to fix it. Anybody know what this means? He also gave me an estimate of 1,500$. I was told he was trying to cheat me. Any answers will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
No, your mechanic is ************ you. The head does not need to be removed. This is a fairly common issue with an even more common fix (in fact, this is what the dealer would do to fix it). What you want to do is install a Timesert thread insert (find the kit that is for 4.6/5.4 Triton motors) and it will be good as new. I don't know of any specific retailers, but pretty sure it can be found at amazon.com and I've heard they run around $300. Expensive, but better than your mechanic's proposal and is a reasonably simple diy job. The shittiest part is that it was #4 that blew out; that's the most difficult one to get access to, but I have faith that you will overcome it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Someone beat me to the Timesert solution. Mine had that issue a while back on one of the plugs too. Head removal was not required to fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts