Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I read about the spark plugs breaking on our 4.6 engines the more concerned I am. I have heard of prices to fix this ranging from $200 to $2.5K. On one of the forums I read where the owner had to pay $600 even though it was the Ford Tech who broke the plug I only have 6K miles on my 07 GT vert but I am considering switching to the Champion one piece plug. Has anyone done this and if so are you pleased with the results? Also where is the best place to get a good price on the Champions?

Ron

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think it was more common in the earlier years. the problem was them coming loose and stripping out. one tip to changing plugs is always do it when the heads are cold.you should have no issues on the 07

R

·
0 Posts
no 2005 up wth the 3V's are having issues wth the sparkplug breakin-off in the head from people trying to change them, a little different of a problem then the 4.6/5.4 SOHC's spitting-out sparkplugs due to detonation....

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
learned something new today.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure that you guys who are calling this a problem with the earlier Mustangs (pre 3 valve) recognize that this is also a problem with the 05 and up. Below is a post from another forum from a guy with an 06 GT Vert and it is not the only one I have seen.

3V Spark plug change hell - 02-17-08, 10:11 AM

After reading all ov the horror stories about removing plugs from 3V motors, I decided to change mine. I have 38K miles on the clock. I read and re-read the TSB from Ford. Got a new set of Autolite HT plugs, a can of Aerokroil and a bottle of Permatex nickel anti sieze. I went by the TSB instructions, to the letter.

Well, I'm screwed. Absolutely went by the letter of the TSB, did everything just as directed and the second plug broke off-in the worst way, the porcelain stayed in the lower part of the plug. I just threw in the towel, called AAA and had the POS trucked to the dealership where I bought it.

I am so depressed right now I could just croak. This car only has 38K miles (of course, 2 K past warranty) on the clock and God knows how much it will cost to fix it, and if it will ever be the same. This is the first car I ever ordered from the factory and was my retirement gift to myself. At this point, I doubt I'll ever buy another Ford product. I wish to heaven I had taken it in to the dealer before the warranty expired-but I didn't. If you have a Ford vehicle with the 3V heads, I would trade it before you need new plugs. Good luck to you, brothers.

R

·
0 Posts
why was this guys changing his plugs anyway at 38K???? there good for 100k before they need tobe changed......what does he mean "it will never be the same?" or "I'll never buy another Ford product again?" like it was Ford's fault he broke the plug off in the head??? some people amaze me:so

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spark Plug Breaking

Randy - I don't think this guy is at fault he should be able to change his plugs whenever he wants to. I have read about a number of these cases. The stock Ford Mustang plugs 05 and up are of either a 2 or 3 piece design, with the bottom portion just crimped on. Apparently this is a big enough problem that Ford has issued a TSB on it and has also invented a special tool that will extract the broken portion. One of the most disturbing aspects of this is that I have read of more than one instance where even if a Ford tech brakes the plug you are responsible for the cost of the repair. I have a link to a video somewhere in my files I will try to dig out and it explains a process
where you get the engine warm use penetrating oil and begin extracting the plug with a 1/4 turn spray some more penetrating oil and keep doing this process until the plug is removed. From the way it is described the crimped on lower section get corroded and sticks in the cylinder while you remove the rest of the plug. This sound like a piss poor design by Ford and there is already a Champion plug, one piece design, which is a replacement. I believe they go for $18 a piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.