Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's this, I've had a set of champion 7989's lying around for a year, still packed as they were bought. My baby is now at about 59,000 miles (2007 gt/cs). Should I change out the stock ones or just roll with it?

I had read about stock ones breaking being a two-piece (and thus bought one-piece replacements that I'd seen recommended here) but I just never got around to it what with moving and all.

Suggestions? Advice? :)

Also, unrelated, but, in your experience, when did you guys notice was a good time of year to buy a cai+tuner combo? Assuming they go on "better sales" at some times of the year than others. I've been researching this as well and I have half a mind to give it a shot. Any and all assistance will be greatly appreciated -- as always!

·
Registered
41 Posts
My car has only 16000 miles but im wondering if I should change mine also.

·
Registered
653 Posts
So there's this, I've had a set of champion 7989's lying around for a year, still packed as they were bought. My baby is now at about 59,000 miles (2007 gt/cs). Should I change out the stock ones or just roll with it?
Ford issued, TSB 08-7-6, get ready for some big time grief if it doesn't go smoothly. You should have taken them out and greased them 59,000 miles and 5 yeas ago.

I would get the ones out that come out easily and let the dealer deal with the rest. Of course the dealer will insist that a plague will come upon your house if he doesn't install only Motor craft plugs. :beauty:

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty%20Recalls/tsb08-07-06%20FORD.pdf

My car has only 16000 miles but im wondering if I should change mine also.
See above suggestion.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I took Monday and Tuesday off next week. I'll be tackling my plugs on Sunday (with almost 80k miles on my engine - and god only knows of the previous owner ever replaced the plugs). I did buy the extraction tool in case I need it but I'm hoping that's not the case.

In the event that I do break a plug and the extraction tool doesn't work, I'll still be able to get the car towed to a Ford dealer on Monday to have them finish the project.

Hopefully everything goes well though. I ran a couple cans of seafoam through the engine a month or two ago and have been running "better quality" (Sunoco) gas since then so hopefully the carbon deposits are minimized. Going to crack each plug 1/8 turn, spray them down with deep creep, and give it plenty of time. Still not looking forward to it. I shouldn't be this anxious about replacing effing spark plugs. *shakes fist*

Edit - and for your bonus question - I just bought mine when I wanted it; I don't think I waited for a sale. IMHO, it was worth every penny at full price. Sure you could wait 4 months for it to go on sale for like $50 off or whatever... but I think that $50 that I didn't save was worth it to get instant gratification :shigrin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Earl, well, I only bought the car about 3 years ago, and only read about the spark plug issue last year, I know, quite the noob indeed. :shigrin

I was planning on having a local mechanic tackle it, nice trustworthy family operation & they haven't steered me wrong yet. That shouldn't be an issue, should it? o_O

Sure I could attempt it myself, but I really defied a lot of people when I bought this car (entire family is pro-toyota and honda and anti-everything else -- I like them too considering you can be negligent with them and they still keep trucking along). SO I don't want to inadvertently cause an issue that will give them more fuel to nag or "i told you so"-s.

Regarding the cai+tuner, I'm back in school now, trying to do something else than my previous field which has practically no jobs in our area at the moment, so funding would have to come from the [cheapskate] husband, and he is totally against the idea, claiming all the positives are just hype and it runs fine so I don't need to do anything. In fact, he's been harassing me to sell the 'stang, and buy some dinky 2 cylinder to save gas, which I absolutely refuse to do. I didn't save for 10+ years just to sell it. :nono:

Ugh, sorry for the rant, suppose I just needed to vent to people who would understand, Lord knows no one here does. I guess I'll just need to keep an eye out and save what I can from school money.

Thank you for your input guys, -- and again, it shouldn't be a problem to get the spark plugs removed by any mechanic correct? Or do I HAVE to go to a Ford ripoff dealership? Also, good luck themangeraad, I'll be rooting that nothing goes wrong /fingers crossed.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would think a competent mechanic could handle it. If they've done any work on stangs or F150 then they should be aware of any potential issues.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
75 Posts
One of the independently owned franchise repair places here in town said they would install the plugs for $150 labor. To me that sounds like a deal, they are familiar with the issues and have done many f-150's. To me it will be worth it just so I don't have to stress about.

·
Registered
478 Posts
That's probably not bad - the Lisle tool is $60 itself. I'd want to make sure that price included additional labor for if/when they break a plug.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That's probably not bad - the Lisle tool is $60 itself. I'd want to make sure that price included additional labor for if/when they break a plug.
Good luck with that. Ford doesn't give a time in the TSB like they do with most repair/maintenance issues.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty. OPERATION DESCRIPTION Claim Labor As Actual Actual TIME
The emissions warranty is a federally mandated 8 years/80,000 miles. But the car would have to fail inspection because of the plugs for Ford to cover them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts