Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Is the engine "stock"? Or does it have better heads, cam, etc.? Supercharged? Nitrous?

Gotta have more info.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If you're naturally aspirated, Motorcraft is best. If you're wanting to drop some $ on them, you can get Splitfires. I don't think the Motorcrafts are any better, although I'd like to hear some arguments.
If you're running a power adder, stay tuned for others' posts.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
im not very experienced with plugs and the 5.0, but there is a new spark plug on the market, it might be worth a look see.

www.e3sparkplugs.com

i think thats it

if its not, just google E3 Sparkplugs

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, thanks for all the replies. It is a stock engine and the only thing on it
is a cold air system, high flow cats and H-pipes. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
shakerhood said:
On the Stocker Autolite 25s gapped to the Factory gap of .054
Or Motorcraft ASF42C.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
shakerhood said:
Good old 5.0s seem to love Standard copper plugs! None of the high tech expensive jazzy plugs.
Exactly... until you get into the power adders. I think this is true for all OHV V8s, the real muscle.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
ive actually read that because those fancy plugs are made of platinum is the reason some older cars dont like them.
the older ignition systems simply dont have enough juice to get a good spark off of platinum.
the article recommended thart all cars made before 1993 avoid the platinum plugs

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
systronic said:
ive actually read that because those fancy plugs are made of platinum is the reason some older cars dont like them.
the older ignition systems simply dont have enough juice to get a good spark off of platinum.
the article recommended thart all cars made before 1993 avoid the platinum plugs
So they might actually be worth a shot if you're running an MSD, or some hotter ignition. I've heard a couple of 5.0 owners swear by the platinums, one of them being the guy at the local speed shop - who probably has a hotter than stock ignition. Now it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I have an MSD Coil on my Stang, but it still only likes the basics! Even if those Expensive plugs helped you a bit, it would be so slim that it would never offset the cost difference.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
shakerhood said:
I have an MSD Coil on my Stang, but it still only likes the basics! Even if those Expensive plugs helped you a bit, it would be so slim that it would never offset the cost difference.
Thank you, I just put one on my car, and was beginning to wonder... It might be a different story with the MSD box?

·
Registered
688 Posts
how do u know what plugs to get anyway, no matter what kinda mods u have? i am putting on heads, cam, upper/lower intake, maf, tb, egr plate, headers, 24lb injectors and a few other things how do i determine what plugs to get and what to gap them at?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
jbspeed86 said:
how do u know what plugs to get anyway, no matter what kinda mods u have? i am putting on heads, cam, upper/lower intake, maf, tb, egr plate, headers, 24lb injectors and a few other things how do i determine what plugs to get and what to gap them at?
If you're running a stock ignition, go with the standard copper plugs. Motorcraft, Autolite, Champion, or whoever, and like I said before, I don't know of anything bad to say about the Splitfire SF2Es - other than the price.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
LX Power said:
Great, thank's again for all the feed back. I'm going to go with motocraft.
It's too late. You've created a monster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a naturally aspirated car with a carb on it and I went with NGK platiniums. I used the NGK because they were recommended by a long time Ford racer and engine builder. I went with the platinium because with the equal length shorty headers I have on it is a hassle to change the plugs. I do have a lot of mods and I am running a MSD box.

·
Registered
136 Posts
autolite #24 .54 done

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
jerry_dawg said:
autolite #24 .54 done
Why 24s, instead of 25s? That's one "step" colder than stock. What's the reason for suggesting a step colder?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.