Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a 6x9 speaker can be made to fit the 5x7 holes in the 99 v6 mustang. I want to put infinity kappa 6x9's in the front and back but the mounts are made for 5x7. Is there a way around this?

M

·
0 Posts
there is no possible way to fit a 6x9 in the front doors. there isnt enough clearance between ithe door and the window especially for the kappas. the rear is a different story you can enlarge the opening and easily fit the 6x9s. your best bet is to do the 5x7 kappas or 6 inch three ways. :evillol:

·
Registered
26 Posts
The factory openings are actually 6x8's, not 5x7's although a 5x7 will fit in there. A lot of companies make 6x8 speakers that are really no different than the 6x9's; a 6x8 won't really sound any different than a 6x9.
If you want to get more base I suggest putting subs in your trunk. i got some pretty good results by putting amplified aftermarket 6x8's in the stock speaker holes and 2 12" subs in the trunk.
A cheaper option is to keep the factory speakers, which aren't that bad, and run them with crossovers that limit them to midrange/ high frequency, then get some subs to cover the bass.
A final piece of advice is to not get 12", I would go with 10" ones if I were doing it again. The trunk is just too small for a 2 cubic foot box, especially if you want to access the spare tire easily.

Hope this helps,
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.