Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the premium but looking to upgrade the factory door speakers..I will consider the rear as well but door panels first. Budget is up to $100, no other changes planned to shaker system.

Thanks!

·
0 Posts
Go with some pioneers best quality for the price in my opinion you can get a pair of 4-ways for like 79 bucks at wal mart

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have the premium but looking to upgrade the factory door speakers..I will consider the rear as well but door panels first. Budget is up to $100, no other changes planned to shaker system.

Thanks!
i got a set of JL tr speakers that sounds awesome. $80. I had the same set in my ford fusion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ive been doing research on this as well.

ive read that the 3 way (and definitely 4 way) speakers are not necessarily better than a 2 way (coaxial) speaker. it draws more power to push all the speakers, and with our limited power from the factory amps that wouldnt be good.

the kenwood kfc-c6893ps are very cheap and are designed to fit in fords. some people like those.

other people like polk audio stuff (it used to be the **** back in the day) but they are more pricey, but not really any better anymore from what people say.

check out millionbuy.com. they have prices that u would get buying something that 'fell off the back of a truck'. its seriously ridiculous how cheap some stuff on that site it. so check there first, but then also amazon has good deals.

personally i plan to buy the infinity 6832cf's because they are very sensitive (good for low power amps, like ours) and infinity is known for their crisp highs. i plan to put my subs in the trunk soon though, so thats where i'll get my lows :)

its tough to decide how something will sound in our cars based on something someone says online. the bottom line though is that EVERYTHING will sound better than the stock speakers:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I got 4 RF 3-ways for $135 shipped, but I have the base stang. If I had the premium trim, i'd get components for sure, especially with your budget.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
hmm how would one mount component speakers in a 6x8 hole? where would the tweeter go and such?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put the alpine type s 5x7s in my doors. They are good speaker for $100 at best buy. They sound pretty good with the factory system. For a little more get the type r and amp them and get some really good sound.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put the alpine type s 5x7s in my doors. They are good speaker for $100 at best buy. They sound pretty good with the factory system. For a little more get the type r and amp them and get some really good sound.
I just want speaker swap..i know adding amps and all can open up a can of worms!

·
Registered
90 Posts
i had some kentwoods in my first truck, 99 f150, they sounded good. ill have to get back to u on the model number... also pioneer like people said... this is something im doing down the road as i have premium and shaker 500. it sounds great but i dont wanna probe in my new car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have infinity speakers in my other cars and I really like the way they sound. I am thinking about replacing the door speakers in my Pony as well and will look at Infinity speakers.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I kinda regret not getting the RF 2-ways after lookin at em.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
I found some infinity 6832cf's on Amazon for $53 a pair! =) I've ordered them and the metra harnesses, which arrived today, along with a trim kit. So, once the speakers show up and I get them in, i'll let you know what it sounds like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Saved some money by keeping the factory head unit, & my stereo system sounds great.

I went with
Alpine SPR-57C 5x7s all around, a JL CP108LG-W3V3 FlatWedge 8" sub woofer in the trunk, & a JL XD700/5 channel Amplifier to drive them all. High fidelity starts with a good amplifier & ends with quality speakers. :smoke:

Joenpb,

Im looking at doing a very similar setup as you. Do you have the base stereo system? Does it have pre-outs or did you have to get a sound processor/converter to hook up the amp? Also where did you mount your amp.

thanks in advance..

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Joenpb,
That does seem like a nice setup.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Joenpb,

Im looking at doing a very similar setup as you. Do you have the base stereo system? Does it have pre-outs or did you have to get a sound processor/converter to hook up the amp? Also where did you mount your amp.

thanks in advance..
Yes I had the base stereo system.

Mounted the amp under the passenger seat (removed), I also used a 4GA amp kit w/ 60-80A fuse to connect to the battery, 12GA speaker wire, 10 ft RCA cables, & a couple of hi/low level adapters (JL XD CLRAIC2-SW). Line converters aren't necessary because the amp has built in line converter & can handle line level or speaker level inputs. I also hooked up an amp remote level control (JL HD RLC), basically a potentiometer to control the amps output to the subwoofer. I attached it inside the console, and adjust as necessary. Basically on the radio I set the treble up a notch or two, keep the base flat, then adjust it with the remote.

Besides sounding great, my system looks stock, out of sight, out of mind, when I'm in town. :winks Good luck.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts