Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the Pioneer AVIC-D1 Nav unit and will install it with a Pioneer XM radio tuner and a Pioneer 12 CD changer. My GT is a Deluxe version that came with the standard 4 speaker AM-FM single CD player sound system. I want to upgrade the speakers in the front and rear and maybe add some additional speakers for highs and midrange. Any suggestions. What I don't want is a loud bass sound that shakes the whole world around me. I want to be able to hear all the notes and instruments that are playing. Thanks

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll second the recommendation of the Infinity's, regardless of what music you listen to. Of course I don't know what your budget is, but I went with 6x8 components in front and 6x8 coax in the rear deck (you could power these from the deck, but a 4 channel amp would be better). You say that you might add additional speakers, so a subwoofer in the trunk would be my next suggestion. If you're not into booming bass, the Scosche 12" enclosure (http://www.scosche.com/press_room.aspx?year=0&id=61) should work well, it bolts in to the factory brackets for the Shaker 1000 sub enclosure. That would require adding an amp to power it. Beyond that you could add 8" woofers to kick panels or to the bottom front of the door (where the Shaker would have put them) to add some midbass. Those are just general suggestions, without knowing what you listen to, or what you can afford.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I just got the basic radio, I was wondering if just upgrading the made in China speakers would help or should I go hog wild like yourself.

·
Registered
76 Posts
pcfrisch said:
I just got the basic radio, I was wondering if just upgrading the made in China speakers would help or should I go hog wild like yourself.
It depends on what kind of music you like, how loud you like it, what your budget is, etc. Replacing the cheap factory speakers will definitely help. You could upgrade in phases like this:

1. Replace factory speakers: 6x8 components in front, 6x8 coax in rear. Maybe add some sound deadening material in doors for fuller sound, less road noise. $200-$300 installed.

2. Replace factory head unit. Sky's the limit here...mp3, dvd, nav, etc. The higher output amp of an aftermarket stereo will better power the new speakers. $300-$3000 installed.

3. Add 4 channel amp to power the speakers. The internal amp of the head unit probably puts out 25-30W RMS. Your speakers likely need 50W or more RMS. The 4 channel amp will provide that, for cleaner sound and less distortion. $200-$500 installed.

4. Add a subwoofer for bass notes. The door and rear deck speakers do an adequate job with low notes, but subs were meant for this, and do a much better job. Even if you don't like boomy bass, a sub is still recommended. You'll need an amp for the sub as well. For jazz, classical, easy listening (not likely in a Mustang, but hey, anything is possible), a single sub is more than enough. For rock, rap, techno, try dual 12" subs, though you will sacrifice most of the trunk for the enclosure. $300-$1000 installed.

5. Go crazy like I did: Kenwood DDX7015 in dash DVD with KNA-DV4100 Navigation, Sirius Satellite Radio, Kenwood Music Keg, 6x8 components up front, 6x8 coax in the rear deck powered by a Sony 4060GTX amp, 2 12" subs in a custom molded fiberglass enclosure painted Mineral Gray to match my stang, powered by a Sony 2200GTX amp. Next on the list is an interface for my iPod video, so I can watch videos on the in dash screen.

·
Registered
599 Posts
byoung2, I would love to see some pics of your system, can u post some?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Thanks for the info, not trying to steal the thread, somewhere I read that the basic audio system has approx 125 watts, so I will try speakers first.

·
Registered
76 Posts
hogpowr said:
byoung2, I would love to see some pics of your system, can u post some?

I have some up on another thread, but I've upgraded since then. I'll put more up so you can see it in all its glory!

·
Registered
76 Posts
pcfrisch said:
Thanks for the info, not trying to steal the thread, somewhere I read that the basic audio system has approx 125 watts, so I will try speakers first.
Sounds like a plan. I was guessing 25-30W RMS (I meant to say "per channel" in my previous post), so 125W is about right for the 4 channels. Most component and coax speakers will give you a range for RMS (e.g. mine say 8-55W RMS), so the head unit will adequately power them for now at 31.25W RMS. Keep in mind that even if you added a 4 channel amp at 31.25W RMS it will sound better because it will more likely have lower THD (total harmonic distortion). Think of it this way: you could eat 1000 calories of fast food, or 1000 calories of gourmet food - the same amount but the quality is better. A 4 channel amp at 50-60W RMS would be even better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts