Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Spec stage 3 clutch kit with the lightweight option. Included in the kit is a throwout bearing. What is unusual about it is the side which connects to the clutch fork is plastic. It looks like that high imapct ABS plastic. The side that touches the prongs/teeth on the clutch is metal.
My question is -- does anyone else think this might be a bad idea to use? Could it possibly wear out faster? Im guessing its the "lightweight" option of throwout bearings.... Maybe I should just use an all metal one like the Ford Racing part? Is there any other benefit of using the plastic one besides weight?? What do you guys think? :?:

·
Registered
579 Posts
The design is to allow a smoother ride on the input shaft on the transmission and since it is not under any kind of load it is just a guide with no pressure you should not have a problem. I have been using one for about a 1 year road racing and drag racing and no problem.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i actually picked one up from napa autoparts and it was plastic. i was uncomfortable with using it. but i havent heard complaints yet. i have yet to try mine out tho.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK - thanks for the advice. I will just give it a try and if anything bad happens I will report back. (Hopefully that wont happen) :)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Mines' been in for 3 years now..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.