Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this website. I have an 07' GT and was shopping for cold air intakes. Everyone has recommended that I get a 93 tune. What are the specifics of this, and what will happen if I don't get it tuned? I appreciate this website and I really appreciate all the helpful advice the members share. Thanks!

·
Registered
237 Posts
pretty much all they are going to do is advance your timing re map your fuel system to be more horse power efficeint and not as economical. You would need to run higher octane to stop from detonating. which will overheat combustion chambers then from there warps heads and blows gaskets... if your lucky that is. Chevy owners get a rod through the side of the block when this happens.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There are 2 types of CAI's - those that do not require a tune, and those that do. The difference between the 2 types is the diameter of the CAI's MAF sensor tubing. A tuneless CAI's MAF sensor tubing has the same diameter as stock, while a tuned CAI has a larger MAF sensor tubing. The latter requires a tune in order to prevent the engine from running an overly lean mixture.
A tuneless CAI will add approx. 10 hp(+/-) with 87 octane gas, while a tuned CAI will add approx. 20 hp(+/-). The latter will increase its power output by 3-5 hp with 93 octane.
Also, a tune will eliminate the stock tune's notorious "throttle nanny" that mushes out throttle response. The difference is like day and night.
Recommend that you get a tuned CAI as a package deal from one of the custom tuners, like BamaChips, Brenspeed, Tillman, etc. Their tunes are better much than the canned tunes that normally come with the handheld tuner. If you have an auto equipped S197 GT, then suggest going with BamaChips. He's a wizard with autos.

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
Some see mpg improvements but that is rare since once it's tuned the pedal has a tendency to remain closer to the floor.. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Some see mpg improvements but that is rare since once it's tuned the pedal has a tendency to remain closer to the floor.. :)
this is very tru i was having that touble with mine i got my tuner it just seemed like the pedal was always so much closer to the floor.:gringreen

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So basically, I can get any cai with the same port sizing and not worry about tuning correct? And no harm with going with 87 octane? I just don't have a whole lot to spend. 300 hp is enough for me!

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
So basically, I can get any cai with the same port sizing and not worry about tuning correct? And no harm with going with 87 octane? I just don't have a whole lot to spend. 300 hp is enough for me!
If the MAF housing is the same as stock you should be able to run without a tune. But it's no guarantee. I've seen 'supposed' non-tune CAIs still throw a lean code. You can tune any CAI to whatever octane you want.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i understand you don't want the 93 octane tune because it costs more money, but it will only end up being about 3 dollars more per fillup. so instead of it being 30 it will be 33.

But if your really against the extra $$$, you should ask for a regular 87 octane tune as well as one or more 93 octane tunes. That way you can switch when you want that little extra power.

On bamachips.com, you can select 93 race, tune 93 torque tune, and 87 performance tune. That way you can choose which gas to run.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not a mechanic I have learned on the fly and by reading the posts... I have an '08 GT/CS; got a C&L CAI and Diablo Predator Tuner as a package deal on e-bay for $238. Stroke of luck... works like a charm with the 93 tune. It has tons of power. Only caution is beware that the original owner has cleared the tune.... in other words, make sure that they put their original tune back onto their car to restore the original status of the tuner or it will be worthless. It worked out great for me after a week of keeping my fingers crossed waiting for it to arrive int the mail. Why did the guy sell it? His wife said the car had too much power to have thie kids in the backseat....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.