Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have read that some people are removing the speed limiters in their 05 v6's, if you remove it how fast will it go?Any feedback appreciated!
Thanks

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Around 140 mph, maybe a bit less considering the weight, hp and aerodynamics.......and length of road :)

·
Registered
829 Posts
GTRaptor said:
Around 140 mph, maybe a bit less considering the weight, hp and aerodynamics.......and length of road :)
Factory is said to have it at 145 (read it in one of the name brand mag.s... forgot who) so I guess it wasn't necessary to turn it off when I programmed with the Diablo.

Russ

·
Registered
165 Posts
ummm forgive me .....where is the speed limiter?? And if I buy a tuner like SCT Xcalibrator does that remove it??

·
Registered
502 Posts
Leon: Re the XCal...I asked that same question in a different thread last week but didn't get an answer. Talked to a couple of motorheads at work and they believe it WILL. (I watch a little NASCAR and am always hearing about the "restrictor plates" so had thought it was a piece of metal as opposed to just a setting in the computer chip -- apparently that's not the case for our vehicles). But there are folks on this site who I think will know for sure...let's hope one of them sees your question and responds...

·
Registered
419 Posts
V6

zregime said:
Leon: Re the XCal...I asked that same question in a different thread last week but didn't get an answer. Talked to a couple of motorheads at work and they believe it WILL. (I watch a little NASCAR and am always hearing about the "restrictor plates" so had thought it was a piece of metal as opposed to just a setting in the computer chip -- apparently that's not the case for our vehicles). But there are folks on this site who I think will know for sure...let's hope one of them sees your question and responds...
The V6 is limited by the computer to ~112 MPH. The engine is also RPM limited by the computer. I know the tuners can remove the RPM limiter. No idea on the MPH limit though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
wnewport said:
The V6 is limited by the computer to ~112 MPH. The engine is also RPM limited by the computer. I know the tuners can remove the RPM limiter. No idea on the MPH limit though.
RPM is limited to what?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Limiter

Dineau said:
RPM is limited to what?
I can't find the exact #. I know that on my V6 the engine power starts to die when you get too close to 6,000 rpm. I found something in the specs that says max upshift rpm for the auto: 5850 V6, 6250 GT. Limit must be near that.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Removing limits

Hey the v6 is limited to 113 says car and driver, and the rpms are around 5700. The xcal2 will remove both of these, but i wouldnt suggest removing the rev limiter because that is there for a reason, if you over rev you could screw your engine. And if you screw with the speed limiter you should probably reset it to 135 or something and not completely remove itor you could possibly run out of gear.

·
Registered
164 Posts
On the GT, the stock car is electronically limited to 147 mph. If you use a tune to remove the limiter, under the right conditions, aerodynamics will stop the car's acceleration at ~ 160 mph. That is, 160 is about its top speed.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I knew my AFM homiez would pull through! Thanks all...

·
Registered
165 Posts
sweet thanks guys !! SCT Xcalibrator ....here i come!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
LeonSORTX said:
sweet thanks guys !! SCT Xcalibrator ....here i come!!
takes about 5 minutes to upload and BOOM - more horsies!!! :hihi:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe that the biggest, if not the only, reason speed limiters are placed on vehicles is that the MFG cheaps out and puts tires on that cant handle higher speeds. You might be doing yourself a HUGE disservice by removing the limiter without the appropiate tires.

·
Registered
181 Posts
what do u mean you might run out of gear?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mr60: Good input...tires are about number 3 on Dixi's wish list right now, after an MMR CAI and the XCal2. Any recommendations re make/size? Thanks bro...

·
Registered
419 Posts
?

ILikeBond said:
On the GT, the stock car is electronically limited to 147 mph. If you use a tune to remove the limiter, under the right conditions, aerodynamics will stop the car's acceleration at ~ 160 mph. That is, 160 is about its top speed.
I read that the GT is drag limited- the cars aerodynamics are the limiting factor. At ~145 MPH it just can't go any faster without more HP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Allyouhave to do to see if your tires are "up to speed" lol, is look for the letter (Z......) on the tire and lookitup in your manual, if i remember correctly (which i most likelydont someone check me on this) the v6 tires are rated for 140 or so. That is if im right someone should look it up! :shrug

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think GTRaptor has it said. To get to 110, no problem seems like you need about 1-2 miles to get up to 130. I couldn't imagine how long 150+ would take.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts