Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today as i was heading to pick my buddy up from school, i was entering a 55mph zone and i saw this police car sitting on the side of the road. So i kept it cool running at about 53 or so, and next thing i know the cop is following me up the street with his lights on. He told me i was really going 72 when my speedometer clearly read 55. My first question is how can i get this speedometer calibrated correctly? I've got 2.73 rear end gears. An secondly, is there any way i can prove that my speedometer is off and get out of this ticket? Any help is much appreciated :bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Just take it to a shop that does speedometer calibrations. Doesn't take long, and they will print you a certificate saying how much your speedometer was off. Then you take that to court and prove you got the problem corrected. The judge may or may not let you off.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
its ultimately your responsibility to make sure the car is fully operational...

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
you mean to say you can't tell the difference between 72 mph and 53 mph? that's a pretty big difference...
no kidding! that is a huge difference!
that'd mean that when your speedometer says you're going 15 mph you'd actually be going 34 mph..

seems to me that you're just telling us the story you're going to try on the judge, in that case, good luck.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Get a GPS, I use a Garmin, and it will show you your speed. My speedo is 2 mph slow.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
A paper certificate in court is just hear say. you need the certified machanic that did the check. Good luck with that one no mechanics going to sit in court for your ticket. I tried it already, they did go a little easier on me with the paper but I didnt get out of it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well that cop must have been a chevy guy, cause i know damn well i wasnt going 72mph. he was a jerk to begin with. So far i've had two run-ins with the police, the first time my beloved gocart ended up on a full size flat bed with a $450 charge to get it out of the impound, now i get my first speeding ticket. thanks for the help though guys, i appreciate it.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Honestly what you need to do is take the ticket to court. You don't need an attorney. First time to court is just a hearing. They want to know Guilty or not guilty. Plead not guilty. Then they will give you a another court date a few weeks later. When you show up to court, the prosecutor will probably offer you a good deal before you take the stand. What I mean is he will probably offer a 10mph ticket vs. what you got. Note: If the cop doesn't show up to court they will drop all charges. Just show up to court in a nice suite and be serious. The judge won't take you serious if you wearing a sleeveless shirt and jeans. If your wearing a nice suite he will know you mean business and know you respect his court and cut you a break.
I have had alot of tickets in the past. They eyeball older nice mustangs. I mean they do stick out of a crowd.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got an 85 in a 55, my lawyer plead that there was an equipment malfunction and they drooped it from a reckless to a 10 over. You are still going to get spanked but it will be less.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ignorance is no excuse, you will lose if you go to court without fixing the speedometer. Showing the judge proof it was fixed might get you out of it, but 72 in a 55 is going to be a tough sell.
BTR-75 is correct Ignorance is no excuse. Your best bet is to go to court in a nice suite looking like you learned your lesson and your sorry wont happen again. Keep your mouth shut look well groomed and serious. Just let the Judge talk and the procecutor offer you a deal. Forget the whole speedometer is not working talk. We all know it's b.s. the judge will too. Don't waste your money on a lawyer.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If I remember correctly, the State of California got tired of everyone who got speeding tickets saying that it was because their speedometer was off, so they changed the law to say that you are no longer required to have a working speedometer in that state. Not required to have one means if its not working then that excuse will not be valid in court.

Is your odometer accurate? You can use it to check your speedometer, but I'm guessing you'll just find that you really were doing 55. I get profiled pretty bad by cops too, one of those things that goes with owning a Mustang.

·
Registered
13,167 Posts
Heres the best advice. Get an attorney to reduce it to a parking ticket, pay the fines ($250 +75 att cost usually here) othrwise you still pay $250 and you insurance skyrockets if you are young. Next time ask the cop to see the radar yourself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts