Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bothered to check the accuracy of the speedometer in the new Mustangs, using GPS or some other method?

I know the speedo needle is a little bit hard to read precisely anyway, but I'm just curious if it's reasonably accurate...within 1-2 MPH.

Some cars, even new ones, tend to be way off. BMW tends to make their speedos read higher than actual speed by quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yes. If you an android, get GPS Essentials. It's amazing.

The speedometer is adjusted to compensate for parallax error.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
The stangs have an engineering test mode and it shows you the digital readout vs analog. On mine when im doing 80 on the digital speedo, the analog shows 83, so I know it's a bit off. Then again I have 3.73's and 19" rims stock so idk if that has anything to do with it.

Do a forum/utube search for engineering mode and it'll show you how to do it.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Sky is right, to a point, if you have the car in engineering mode, you can also use it for a digital tach. If you know what rpm's the engine is turning, and you know the internal transmission gear ratios / axle ratio are, and you know how many revolutions occur per mile for your tires, then this is a piece of cake to figure out. I do not look at my speedometer, just my tach, the speedometer is just there to appease the wife, and it's way off!!:winks I have a spreadsheet of rpms/gears/MPH printed out, highlighted, and underlined at key points clipped on my sunvisor for reference(cheat sheet).

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
How do you get into this "engineering test mode?"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hold reset when you start it up. When it says engineering test mode you release reset. It will do a guage test and your speedo and rpm needles will go wonky. Then you use input to cycle through until you get to the digital speedo.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Hold reset when you start it up. When it says engineering test mode you release reset. It will do a guage test and your speedo and rpm needles will go wonky. Then you use input to cycle through until you get to the digital speedo.
That's wild. I'm assuming it goes back to normal when you restart the car?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
What else can you do with this feature?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.