Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headers keep burning my speedo cable? It there a better way to run the 75" cable? Also, what color gear for the cable should be in the transmission with 3.73 gears? I have a reddish one. I think it is 19 teeth? I had a white one in but it was off and then the speedometer stopped working. It may have ruined the module where the cable is inserted? Any ideas how to fix this issue?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Mine is a 5 speed with 3.73's and I have the white one. Seems about right when I pass one of those roadside radar trailers. As far as the header issue, try using the heat shield sleeves that you would normally use on the plug boot. that should keep the heat out :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The white one...

I have the white one as well, but when it started to work it was about 10 off... Then the speedometer stopped working all together.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
The correct driven speedometer gear depends on the year and transmission. What year is your car, and what transmission?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
How are you running your spedo cable that it keeps getting burned up?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
You should be using a 21-tooth driven speedometer gear. For future reference for anyone who reads this:

Speedometer gear chart

1986-89 T5s have a 7-tooth drive gear, 90-95s have an 8-tooth (stupid, who knows why that changed). The drive gear in 90-95 T5s can be swapped to a 7-tooth drive gear. It's not very expensive, it just requires removing the transmission tail shaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Great chart thanks!!! It is ran through the firewall and near the headers. They are intertwined so I am just burning cables!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts