Ford Mustang Forum banner

Speedometer pinion differences

511 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Ivy66GT
The white pinion is what the vendor sent me specifically for my car. The darker colored pinion is what was in the car. The pinon must be changed because of the new tire size and the change from the stock gears to a 4.11:1. One issue that occurred to me is that the C4 is a 1970 "big bellhousing" and the car is a 68. Can anyone tell me what is the difference here? Would the year be the issue? (yes I know the end of the cable is not supposed to come off!)

See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I don't disagree with anything you say but I am not sure what your exact question is. What difference is it that you want us to comment about?

The old gear on the left seems to have its snout broken off. The snout is what holds the gear in correct alignment. I have never seen one without a snout although the parts manual indicates that 'type 1' gears lacked the snout. Let me study this some more. I don't find any repro gears that are type 1. :headscratch: Your new one appears to be either a type 3 or 3a.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.