Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new poster but longtime reader here.

It occured to me to ask you guys about this little issue, not really a problem, just a minor inconvenience and wondering about the possible causes.

I purchased a 2000 Mustang GT from a dealership 2 years ago, and I was just wondering if there are any mods a previous owner could have done that would cause the speedometer to display wrong (about 5mph higher than actual speed at higher speeds)..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Sure, there are lots of reasons.
My F-150 registers 3 mph faster than I'm going. It's not due to a tune, or a rear end gear change, but simply the size of the tires Ford put on my truck. When I get new tires, I'll get the next series up, and it should read correct. My Mustang reads dead on. I've double checked both vehicles using both GPS and those roadside radar speed indicators the police like to set up.
Check out this site: Kouki Tech >> Tyre size calculator
It could be any of the items I mentioned. More than likely, it's the size of the tires.

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Sure, there are lots of reasons.
My F-150 registers 3 mph faster than I'm going. It's not due to a tune, or a rear end gear change, but simply the size of the tires Ford put on my truck. When I get new tires, I'll get the next series up, and it should read correct. My Mustang reads dead on. I've double checked both vehicles using both GPS and those roadside radar speed indicators the police like to set up.
Check out this site: Kouki Tech >> Tyre size calculator
It could be any of the items I mentioned. More than likely, it's the size of the tires.
Good answer. If you want you can take your car to a speedo shop and they can calibrate it for you so it is true.:gringreen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.