Ford Mustang Forum banner

Speedometer to fast

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  blackblackblack 
#1 ·
So, just got the car a few weeks back with 4000 miles on it, and its a 6 spd. From the first drive I felt like the speed was reading about 12-15 mph to fast. I am considering getting 4.10 gears. i hear alot of people saying the gear really "wake up" the car, which i feel like the power is good already (i am used to 6 cylinders and maybe my 540i). but anyways, i read a few things that gears will mess up the speedo. I would hate to get 4.10 and turns out the previous owner already put them in....

#2 ·
Well you could check with a gps or something like that to see if it is off.

If it is off they make calibration tools for that you can plug in and correct for the difference

#3 ·
posted same thing on a local forum, the previous owner was on and said it had 4.10... odds, him responding to my post... too bad the car was totally done before he stripped it down to sell it. $5000 mark-up later i have it...

#5 ·
But will it do gear ratios not offered from the factory, like 4.10? Also, they're going to charge you to do that. I've heard as much as $75. Plus, most people who do gears aren't planning on having that be their only mod, so they might as well take care of it with a tuner since they're likely to get one anyway.

#7 ·
well... i bought the car not knowing it had 4.10. If I was some old lady and my speedometer was off I would not be happy if Ford told me sorry, the guy before you put different gears in the car so deal with it, I am sure they will calibrate it free, seems only natural

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.