Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the wheel bearings but I cannot find the spindle lock nut at the local auto part stores. Both Advanced and Autozone don't seem to have it. Any ideas where else to look for it other than the dealership ? Those who have replaced the bearings, I am wondering where you guys got it..

Thanks in advance for the inputs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We don't have O'Reilly's in the North East. I called 3 nearby dealerships and neither one of them has it in stock. One of them said that he doesn't recall ever selling it. Makes me wonder if they use the old retainer/spindle nut as opposed to replacing them. This is for the front wheel, btw.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, as opposed to other threads that I have read about wheel bearings, the Haynes Manual doesn't mention replacing this "one time use" nut. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I don't recall ever reading that the nut was one time use. Have you checked to see if the hub assembly comes with the nut and cap?

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's like 20 bucks for new spindle nuts from Ford. I recall that I had to call a couple dealers in my area for them. And that guy at the dealer needs to be kicked in the nuts. IIRC they are TTY nuts. They need to be tightened to 250 ft-lbs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts