Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my stang seems to have trouble breaking the tires lose! It seems to be running fine, and making the same amount of power as before, just not out of the hole. It's almost like the transmission is slipping (doubtful only 13k on it) or it's bogging down or something.

Any ideas? I read something about a way of reseting the throttle response?

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
any lights on like the little wrench?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothing at all.. which is why it's so odd. I have not driven it all that hard but a couple of days ago if i stomped on it it would be fish tailing and going like crazy... now it can barely even spin the tires. Dead stop, put it right to the floor and it spins for about 2 seconds, 0-60 feels like about 8 seconds not 5. If I put the auto in 1st and do it and shift it up as needed then it takes off like a bat out of hell... what gives!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Driving on the same roads?

At times on some roads I can't even chirp the tires, but yet on some roads going about 15 mph I can floor it and spin my tires for a good 2 or 3 seconds.

Some roads make the car feel.... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
633 Posts
has it gotten hot where you live now that it is summer.these car run like crap in hot air.i am having the same problem i live in alabama.we been having 100+ temp lately and the car will barely run but today it is in the 80 low 90 and i can smoke the tires with easily.

·
Registered
633 Posts
hey and also you need mods bad.these autos are crap stock but with right mods they will blow your mind.and the right mods are.in order cai,custume tunner and gears.unless of course you have about 5k+ and want to add a turbo or blower and get even more power.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Turn off the traction control

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turn off the traction control
It was off... I'm not an idiot lol

It has been fairly hot, but not 100+ maybe about 90.

I'm going to take it in and have t hem check it out, it does not seem to be idling right either. I am thinking it might have something to do with the dealer adding mufflers to it, it had straight pipes but they where to loud so I took it back and got them to do the mufflers. It wasn't until after that I noticed it, maybe just going to take some time for the computer to adjust or something.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The ECU adjusts itself to your driving style.

If you've been driving on the freeway a lot, or been very easy on the throttle, the ECU might be more ready for slow, gradual acceleration.

Some spirited driving for about 20 minutes or resetting the ECu by disconnecting the battery may help. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
425 Posts
Well...think of it this way...you're going to save on tire tread (and keep your transmission abuse to a minimum).:gringreen

·
Registered
360 Posts
air dencity affects power, hot air thin, cold air has higher dencity and= more power. the ecm backed off timing from the heat+ hot street and higher tire temps keep you from spinning tires. as soon as your wether cools off you will be spinen them tires:hihi:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
+1 on disconnecting the battery as suggested by Preston351 for at least 30 minutes to wipe out the PCM's KAM(keep alive memory), and allow it to start with a clean slate. You will probably also have to drive for 10-20 miles in order for the PCM to properly relearn the idle strategy. There's a procedure in the battery maintenance section of the owner's manual that should expedite this process.
If doing that does not help, then there may be a problem with the tranny.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
i noticed a similar problem when i drove home from keiths house in ohio, i noticed it would bog down a bit, so Pcfrisch told me to unhook the battery for 30 minutes, and try again, and that worked like a charm! try that :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys, I'll give that a shot to see if it helps. I normally drive like an old Grandpa so that might be all that it is. I am still going to try it just to make sure that's all that it is, and nothing major.

It poured rain today, no problem whatsoever doing with going sideways :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
thanks guys, I'll give that a shot to see if it helps. I normally drive like an old Grandpa so that might be all that it is. I am still going to try it just to make sure that's all that it is, and nothing major.

It poured rain today, no problem whatsoever doing with going sideways :)

Don't feel bad i drive like a grandpa also and can't spin my tires on dry pavement.

as far as doing it in water i feel like i'm driving a Pontiac grand am trying to be cool about spinning my tires when its wet so i avoid it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am also feelin' the same symptoms as the OP(Texas heat, TC off, etc), but it seems especially sluggish :headscratch: I have always wanted to disconnect the battary to adjust my driving habits(driven' like a G-ma since 42mi on the odo....3400 now :sadcry: ) My question, is I follow the procedure correctly(reading the manual/etc.), this won't hurt my car will it?

Also, a lot of us are experiencing the heat...how much power does the AC actually rob when its on? I've noticed a more significant differance than I would have liked too(draining too much power)....this is with A/C on level 1 or 2.....anyone have any proven #'s on how bad the draw on the engine is?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I am also feelin' the same symptoms as the OP(Texas heat, TC off, etc), but it seems especially sluggish :headscratch: I have always wanted to disconnect the battary to adjust my driving habits(driven' like a G-ma since 42mi on the odo....3400 now :sadcry: ) My question, is I follow the procedure correctly(reading the manual/etc.), this won't hurt my car will it?

Also, a lot of us are experiencing the heat...how much power does the AC actually rob when its on? I've noticed a more significant differance than I would have liked too(draining too much power)....this is with A/C on level 1 or 2.....anyone have any proven #'s on how bad the draw on the engine is?

Thanks,
Just to be on the safe side, place a damp cloth over the electrolyte caps before disconnecting the battery. This prevents any hydrogen gas from escaping, and thus prevents a battery explosion if the negative cable sparks when disconnecting/reconnecting it.
In addition to the PCM re-learning the idle strategy, you may also have to reset the stereo settings.
My guess is anywhere from a 5-10 hp loss with the A/C on, and the fan set on high speed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.