Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, I have a few questions about the Spintech Dual Side Exit Exhaust for a 1998 Auto V6er. I tried to E-mail Spintech but I havnt gotten any responses... the e-mail to their parts department actually bounced back to me... so I'm trying to determine if the system actually has everything that I need to install....
If anyone has the system already, or has heard it on a similiar mustang, let me know..... I dont need to modify the side skirts right?
The pipes are 2.25 .... does anyone know what type of gains, if any in HP and Torque.... on the website i found a place where it said 9.5HP and 17 torque my guess is that its being a bit generous.....
any and all help would be appreciated!
:tongue

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
Whats up everyone, I have a few questions about the Spintech Dual Side Exit Exhaust for a 1998 Auto V6er. I tried to E-mail Spintech but I havnt gotten any responses... the e-mail to their parts department actually bounced back to me... so I'm trying to determine if the system actually has everything that I need to install....
If anyone has the system already, or has heard it on a similiar mustang, let me know..... I dont need to modify the side skirts right?
The pipes are 2.25 .... does anyone know what type of gains, if any in HP and Torque.... on the website i found a place where it said 9.5HP and 17 torque my guess is that its being a bit generous.....
any and all help would be appreciated!
:tongue
you have to call them, or www.GTRhipo.com

on your application, that sounds about right -9hp/17tq.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kscoyote said:
you have to call them, or www.GTRhipo.com

on your application, that sounds about right -9hp/17tq.
Hey Kyscote ... you're actually the one who referred me in the first place to spintech and their side exhaust system in a different post.... have you seen them on a car? heard them? what makes them so special... they are a bit more expensive than other catback systems....why?

·
Registered
244 Posts
MylilPony said:
Hey Kyscote ... you're actually the one who referred me in the first place to spintech and their side exhaust system in a different post.... have you seen them on a car? heard them? what makes them so special... they are a bit more expensive than other catback systems....why?
they're FREAKIN LOUD!!!
I rode in a Roush with spintech mufflers and side exhaust...loudest exhuast I've ever heard in my life...that's why they're so expensive, cause they're freakin loud...I don't know about the hp/torque gains though...might be really really generous...you shouldn't gain much unless you have a real big reason to need a better flowing exhaust, as in some type of power adder???

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
YORCHI said:
they're FREAKIN LOUD!!!
I rode in a Roush with spintech mufflers and side exhaust...loudest exhuast I've ever heard in my life...that's why they're so expensive, cause they're freakin loud...I don't know about the hp/torque gains though...might be really really generous...you shouldn't gain much unless you have a real big reason to need a better flowing exhaust, as in some type of power adder???
Think about it this way, the 3.8L is 83% the size of the 4.6L. But the exhaust flow is less than 50%. The 6 has a super quiet, inefficient muffler, and single exhaust. Opening it up frees a lot of hp and if done correctly, tq. GO too large and the torque and hp go away, because the cam can't suppor the flow.
THe cost is in the materials and the quality of the welds, etc.

You can make any muffler loud with a drill bit.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I finally heard back from spintech via e-mail... but all they really did was send me something that was on the site already and also another thing.... subframe connecters... do i need these to put the exhaust on my car... it supposedly "adds ground clearance and additional strength" if i need them i'm not gonna get that particular exhaust.... if u guys post ur e-mail i'll forward u what they sent me or just contact me via e-mail.... this is gettin frikkin complicated.... i just want some soundddddd instead of this hissy exhaust tone im hearing now.... my car has so much potential :[

my e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
I finally heard back from spintech via e-mail... but all they really did was send me something that was on the site already and also another thing.... subframe connecters... do i need these to put the exhaust on my car... it supposedly "adds ground clearance and additional strength" if i need them i'm not gonna get that particular exhaust.... if u guys post ur e-mail i'll forward u what they sent me or just contact me via e-mail.... this is gettin frikkin complicated.... i just want some soundddddd instead of this hissy exhaust tone im hearing now.... my car has so much potential :[

my e-mail is [email protected]
I know what they sent, they sent me the same thing a couple of years ago . ..

You don't need their subframe connectors, But you "should" get some SF connectors if you're planning on keeping the car a while.

Whichever connectors you choose, (eventually) just tell the manufacturers you have a Cobra R style exhaust, and you need them to clear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kscoyote said:
I know what they sent, they sent me the same thing a couple of years ago . ..

You don't need their subframe connectors, But you "should" get some SF connectors if you're planning on keeping the car a while.

Whichever connectors you choose, (eventually) just tell the manufacturers you have a Cobra R style exhaust, and you need them to clear.
I'd want SF connecters even if i kept the stock exhaust right? this isnt changing anything if i put this spintech exhaust on..... they give the option of cobra R tips.... what do they look like... where can i peep a picture of that?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
I'd want SF connecters even if i kept the stock exhaust right? this isnt changing anything if i put this spintech exhaust on..... they give the option of cobra R tips.... what do they look like... where can i peep a picture of that?
correct on all counts.

The Cobra R tips look exactly like the 2001 Cobra R exhaust, I think they're from Ford Racing, which is why they're so pricey . . .

http://myroadtrip.net/svt/cobra-r/2000/051/index.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
would the cobra r tips alter the way the exhaust sounds? I dont think i really need super fancy exhaust tips for the car... i saw on a website what the tips look like on a 99-04... if they're the same ill just go with the ones spintech sends......
thanks for all of the help :worship

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
MylilPony said:
would the cobra r tips alter the way the exhaust sounds? I dont think i really need super fancy exhaust tips for the car... i saw on a website what the tips look like on a 99-04... if they're the same ill just go with the ones spintech sends......
thanks for all of the help :worship
The larger the tip, the deeper the sound (like blowing across the top of a 2L pepsi, versus a 20oz bottle.

I'd imagine the stock oval would sound deeper, the R tips would sound more european . . .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was lookin into the spintech dual sides for my '01 but it seems like the tips would sit really low on my stang.... I'm lowered bout 1.5-1.75" and would hate to crush new exhaust tips :( Any danger in this?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
RedVI said:
I was lookin into the spintech dual sides for my '01 but it seems like the tips would sit really low on my stang.... I'm lowered bout 1.5-1.75" and would hate to crush new exhaust tips :( Any danger in this?
No the approach angle of the tire won't allow anything to crush the muffler, unless you backed off a HUGE -like a 90" median that fit between the wheelbase -but then everything would be crushed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
spintech exhaust???

Hey guys im just starint to turn my 1998 m3.8 mustang into something it should have been awhile back currently have 122k on it 5 speed trans clean motor looking like new from factory. Sorry i get carried away but i am here was on youtube and heard the incredible sound og a 98 v6 mustang wiyth the spintech side exhaust thats the same sound i want on mine any ideas where i can get this system at? also to bug you mustang lovers some more how can or what can i add to my car besides a bbk cold air to get more horepower and tourque avise i have stock transmission so guide me. and i have a twin turbo setub in my trunk but dont want to go that route yet so any advise.

G

·
Follow this:
Alrighty... *cracks knuckles*
Follow this:
GET IT

Gears
Exhaust
T-Lok
Intake
Tune

Gears do not add any horsepower but increase acceleration at the expense of top end speed. You will go through the gears faster and by doing so get into your power band faster. The general advice is 3.73 gears for 5-speed. 4.10 gears for automatics. Keep in mind the stock gearing is 3.27. Changing gears require the speedometer to be corrected. See T-Lok below for cost.

Exhaust is a key to making more power. Converting the extremely restrictive Y-pipe design to an aftermarket true dual exhaust can add decent power and better sound. The best way to do this is to have a local shop covert your car to true dual exhaust. It can range from $350 to $500 depending on your midpipe and muffler choice. Mufflers are up to you (check out Youtube for lots of samples). Flowmaster 40's or MACs are a good start. Midpipes you have three choices: Divorced (no crossover), H-pipe, and X-pipe. Divorced pipes are nearly identical to an H-pipe in our even firing cars. We technically do not require an crossover to equalize back pressure. The H will give you slightly deeper idle. An X will give you more horsepower (2-3hp more) but will give it a raspier tone.

T-Lok is a limited slip differential. You stock diff is an open one. Essentially only one tire has power going to it. A T-Lok allows both tires to have power under acceleration. You go from a "one wheel wonder" to a "two tire fryer." Gear and a T-Lok are a perfect match and should be installed together. Total cost including new bearings, fluid and install ran me $700.

Intakes do not add too much power but do not cost very much. A cheap CAI from eBay (BOMBZ Racing) or American Muscle will give you a small boost in power and make your exhaust louder. Both cost around $75-80. You engine is a giant air pump. The more air in, the more air out. Another popular mod for 99-04s is to replace the entire upper intake with that of a Windstar van. They are plastic so they get less heat soak. The runners are slightly longer as well. After the conversion you should see decent gains in torque and horsepower. This can be done for as little as $50 if you know where to scrounge parts.

Tunes and tuners are one of the best bangs for your Mustang bucks. They modify your car's computer's programing to make use of higher octane fuels amongst other things. A tune for 91 octane will get you around 10hp more. Hand held tuners also can read trouble codes (check engine lights) and clear them. They can also correct the speedo from new gears and different sized tires. The best part of a tuner is you can change the tune in a matter of minutes. Just plug in and press a few buttons. Most tunes you get via email like the ones on American Muscle are conservative tunes. You will see power gains but, not as much as you would from a custom dyno-tune. Those are where your car gets a special tune after being run on a dyno. These are the best tunes but also the most expensive. Expect to pay $500+ for a dyno tune. A hand held tuner will cost you around $370. If you purchase one (I suggest an SCT tuner) from American Muscle you get free tunes for life. When ever you change something on your car, be it gears, tire size, exhaust etc, you can have them email you a new tune.

Phew... I hope this helps.:bigthumbsup
Also, BBK CAI is waste of money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts