Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about a half mile from home when I heard a slap slap slap noise that had the same frequency as the RPMs. I knew right away something was wrong with my serpentine belt and immediately shut it down. Opened the hood and saw that one rib (out of 8) had split off part of the way from the belt and severed. So it was slapping the hood every time it went around.

No big deal, I'll just get a new belt.

Then I looked at the hood and saw a big dent and the paint coming off.

I think I either put the belt on with one rib on the lip of the power steering pump pulley or it jumped up there somehow. It is off by one rib right now so it got there somehow.

I found take off hoods at newtakeoff.com for only $379 so that's not too bad. I thought about a hood like Cdvision because I really like his but I'm really leaning to putting a stocker back on because for one thing I really like them and for another I like the sleeper look.

I bought two replacement belts for $56 each and another $50 to get them here tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get the hood done soon before summer hits.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Well that sucks... I hope it was just installed wrong and it didn't jump. What tensioner are you running?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
So you briefly ran the famous "seven-rib" belt setup?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well that sucks... I hope it was just installed wrong and it didn't jump. What tensioner are you running?
My thoughts exactly, I hope I put it on worong, as in one rib off. I'm running the Kenne Bell tensioner with a half inch aluminum plate welded to it so I don't think it's that. Plus I was just cruising at 40 MPH. It just finally was cut through and came off.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
My thoughts exactly, I hope I put it on worong, as in one rib off. I'm running the Kenne Bell tensioner with a half inch aluminum plate welded to it so I don't think it's that. Plus I was just cruising at 40 MPH. It just finally was cut through and came off.
Might be time for the GI Joe tensioner?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Sorry to hear about the belt... I hope it was just installed wrong.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Something you might want to do is bolt or rivit a strip of metal between the hood support ribs in the area where the belt hit the hood to help protect the hood. Maybe a piece of polished stainless steel with maybe a mustang sticker on it.

Just a thought..

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something you might want to do is bolt or rivit a strip of metal between the hood support ribs in the area where the belt hit the hood to help protect the hood. Maybe a piece of polished stainless steel with maybe a mustang sticker on it.

Just a thought..

I think that's a brilliant idea and I'm going to do exactly that. If there is enough room to do so. I'll take some measurements.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thumper_rrr has developed a tensioner thats suppose to be the best on the market.
I know thump_rrr's tensioner. That's on the future mod list for sure but I just don't think the tensioner was the problem. I didn't throw the belt like happens when the tensioner fails, I just split/cut the belt on the lip of the PS pulley.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Well, that's a bit of a setback. :scared
$50 overnight shipping is a bit extreme. Why do you need it tomorrow? You did without the car for 6 months.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ouch! sorry to hear about that, hope you find that it was just installed wrong...

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I know thump_rrr's tensioner. That's on the future mod list for sure but I just don't think the tensioner was the problem. I didn't throw the belt like happens when the tensioner fails, I just split/cut the belt on the lip of the PS pulley.
I hope that's all it was rather than to have to start worrying about replacing more parts already! Of course you know if you did screw up you will be tortured without mercy.:shigrin

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why do you need it tomorrow? You did without the car for 6 months.
3 reasons:

I did without me car for 6 months.
Tomorrow is going to be the first sunny, warm day of the year up here.
I had plans to visit my tuner for some fine tuning.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hope that's all it was rather than to have to start worrying about replacing more parts already! Of course you know if you did screw up you will be tortured without mercy.:shigrin
When I bought the KB tensioner it was the best available. Weeks later thump_rrr came out with his. I do know I'll need it at some point, but I'm pretty dang confident the KB will work OK with my street tune.

Here's a photo of the KB and a stock tensioner. See the 1/2" plate welded on? I don't think 500 HP will break that. I guess I'll find out soon. Racing starts may 3rd.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
That does look a lot more solid. Nicely polished too!
Some of the guys on the west coast have broken even the KB tensioner. It seem to happen when you let off the throttle abruptly and the belt whips back. It is a nice piece.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.