Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a trip this weekend and I was driving down the interstate at about 70 mph when I started noticing that every 10 to 15 seconds, I would have a drop in power. It wasn't a huge drop, but it was similar to when you're driving down the road and you turn your A/C on. At first I thought it was the cruise control messing up, so I turned that off. That didn't work, so I turned off the A/C. That made it stop having power drops. It doesn't seem to do this until the car warms up and I hadn't had this problem before the weekend.
Have you guys ever run into this problem? Am I looking at a compressor problem or do I merely need more freon put in my A/C?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
power

I went on a trip this weekend and I was driving down the interstate at about 70 mph when I started noticing that every 10 to 15 seconds, I would have a drop in power. It wasn't a huge drop, but it was similar to when you're driving down the road and you turn your A/C on. At first I thought it was the cruise control messing up, so I turned that off. That didn't work, so I turned off the A/C. That made it stop having power drops. It doesn't seem to do this until the car warms up and I hadn't had this problem before the weekend.
Have you guys ever run into this problem? Am I looking at a compressor problem or do I merely need more freon put in my A/C?
Your AC does normally sap some power from the car (all accessories do), and since it has a clutch, you can sometimes feel it when it cuts in and out. If the AC is cooling properly, adding freon won't do anything. If the compressor is failing (and causing a problem), you again will lose the cooling power of the AC as one of the symptoms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your AC does normally sap some power from the car (all accessories do), and since it has a clutch, you can sometimes feel it when it cuts in and out. If the AC is cooling properly, adding freon won't do anything. If the compressor is failing (and causing a problem), you again will lose the cooling power of the AC as one of the symptoms.
Yeah, I know that the A/C sucks down power, but you can usually feel the drop when you first turn it on. My car was having a drop in power every 10-15 seconds and then it would go back to normal. The intervals of power droppage was like someone was turning the A/C on and off. That's why I think something is up. I haven't had it for very long and I try not to use the A/C very often, so I'm not sure if it has lost any cooling power or not. I'll probably take it in and get it checked out. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's perfectly normal. It's just the A/C cycling on and off.
My 02 GT used to do the same thing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I refuse to run the heater or AC for this exact reason.

·
Registered
175 Posts
my 96 GT does the same thing, and is exactly as you described. Turn the vent on and no more problem, turn the AC back on and it starts again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My main fear was that it would mess something up or turn into something major. I don't want to be paying for a new A/C compressor down the road. So you guys think it's just a minor issue that GT's seem to have?

·
Registered
378 Posts
perfectly normal, Mine does the same thing, I won't run my AC because it robs power and it sucks up more gas. I even brought it in to the dealer and they said the same thing prefectly normal, i wouldn't worry about it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
My car was low on refrigerant.....

My car did something similar recently but I for sure was noticing that it wasn't blowing cold air also. When I checked things in the garage the compressor was cycling on and off every 5 seconds or so. I got a kit at the local Kragens that consists of a can of refrigerant and a pressure gauge/hose(on sale $22) and filled it myself. As I added the refrigerant the cycling time got longer(A/C stayed on longer) and eventually got to the point where it stayed on continuously(max A/C and fan--doors and windows open to force A/C to stay on). You can use the pressure gauge to check the fill before you add anything. When I got done I was getting better than a 40 degree drop from ambient. The constant cycling went away also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.